+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: newbie -- looking for a long lasting above-ground (AG) pool

Default Re: newbie -- looking for a long lasting above-ground (AG) pool

@dorburkett --

I'm in the same boat you are. I've been researching pool for a while now and am just about ready to take the plunge - no pun intended.

Here is a link to the deal that you posted... only a little better --> http://www.shop.mightypools.com.KILL...ge-0000001.htm

I was leaning towards this one... --> http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/sharklinematrix.htm
    The 24' round is $1602... and has decent reviews from what I can find.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 04-27-2014 at 11:29 AM.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

@bobct1

Hi Bob,

I have mixed feelings about user-posted links that go to product vendors (as opposed to manufacturers, like Hayward or Pentair).

Your links illustrate some of the reasons. The last link, to poolsupplyworld, I don't mind so much. But I killed the link to mightypools. Let me show you why.

Here's the domain registration WHOIS info for poolsupplyworld.com:
    Domain Name: POOLSUPPLYWORLD.COM
    Registry Domain ID: 603685925_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
    Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.tucows.com
    <SNIP>
    Registrant Name: Eric Brophy
    Registrant Organization: Pool Supply World, Inc
    Registrant Street: 1382 Blue Oaks Blvd Suite 200
    Registrant City: Roseville
    Registrant State/Province: CA
    Registrant Postal Code: 95678
    Registrant Country: US
    Registrant Phone: +1.9167404550
    Registrant Email: eric@poolsupplyworld.com
    Let's compare that to the registration for mightypools.com:
    Domain Name: MIGHTYPOOLS.COM
    Registry Domain ID: 1832990352_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
    Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.wildwestdomains.com
    <SNIP>
    Registrant Name: Registration Private
    Registrant Organization: Domains By Proxy, LLC
    Registrant Street: DomainsByProxy.com
    Registrant Street: 14747 N Northsight Blvd Suite 111, PMB 309
    Registrant City: Scottsdale
    Registrant State/Province: Arizona
    Registrant Postal Code: 85260
    Registrant Country: United States
    Registrant Phone: +1.4806242599
    <SNIP>
    Registrant Email: MIGHTYPOOLS.COM@domainsbyproxy.com
    Pool Supply World has done what you'd expect a legitimate Internet merchant do do, and have made their location, and their contact information visible. This means, if something goes wrong, you can track them down.

By contrast, Mighty Pools has done everything they can to hide their real identity and location from their customers, by using an anonymous proxy registrar. What's more, it's a brand new domain, less than a year old:
    Update Date: 2013-10-29 11:00:00
    Creation Date: 2013-10-29 11:00:00

This is NEVER a good sign, and pretty much guarantees that there will be no after-sales support, much less warranty support. I did check their website, and they have also omitted their location and contact information there, as well. Consequently, as I have down with other anonymous Internet companies, I would strongly recommend against purchasing any products from them. You *might* get what your order, and it *might* be a good deal. But if it's not, and you buy from them, you are out of luck!

Before buying online you need to do 'due diligence' to make sure the company you're buying from actually exists, as something other than a temporary 'marketing stand' for some fly-by-night sleaze ball pool company:

1. Do a WHOIS search on their domain name. This is a 2 second process, if you have a Linux box available to you, but it's a little harder via Windows. Here are links to two sites, returning full records on both domains:
    http://www.whois.com/whois/mightypools.com
    http://www.whois.com/whois/poolsupplyworld.com

http://www.whois-search.com/whois/mightypools.com
    http://www.whois-search.com/whois/poolsupplyworld.com
    2. Do a BBB search for the company. Caution: an A+ rating does NOT guarantee that the company is OK; there are some pretty shady A+ companies. But a poor rating DOES guarantee either that the company is shady OR not taking care of customer complaints OR brand new.

Here's Pool Supply World:
    http://www.bbb.org/northeast-califor...in-ca-47003956
    Not surprisingly, there is NO record for Mighty Pools. So, while I can't offer any recommendation one way or the other for Pool Supply World, I can offer a definite recommendation regarding Mighty Pools: Stay away, far away from them, and all other companies that try to conceal their location and identity!

Good luck with your purchase!
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 04-27-2014 at 01:34 PM.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

@doburkett
    My apologies for hijacking your thread. I wanted you and others to see this, since it's somewhat relevant, but I'll spin it off into a separate thread within 24 hours, so you can get back to your 'regularly scheduled' discussion.

Thanks Ben... I appreciate your thoroughness!

KPROMERO is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst KPROMERO 0

Have you looked at a Radiant Metric pool? I am installing one this weekend and has a lifetime warranty, not prorated. 2 inch walls, made from aluminum. They are a little pricey and i paid $6800 for mine. 27' round and will be installing semi inground which you can actually install completely inground if you prefer.

pratzert is offline Lifetime Member Thread Analyst pratzert 0

Quote Originally Posted by KPROMERO View Post
    Have you looked at a Radiant Metric pool? I am installing one this weekend and has a lifetime warranty, not prorated. 2 inch walls, made from aluminum. They are a little pricey and i paid $6800 for mine. 27' round and will be installing semi inground which you can actually install completely inground if you prefer.
    That does look like a nice AG pool. I'm still looking to replace my 27' round pool. I'll have to see who in the Baltimore, MD area carries that pool and get some pricing.

Do you know much about the company that manufactures that pool ? Good reputation, good warranty service ?

Thanks.

I am starting my install tomorrow morning myself on my Radiant Metric pool. It has a lifetime warranty and not pro-rated, aluminum walls with foam in between which are 2" thick. Called technical a couple times for questions and were very helpful and polite and told me to call them anytime. So far all +'s for them. Paid $6,600. Will be installing semi inground which you can actually install completely inground if you want to also and does not void warranty. Even a SWG will not void.

Take pics . . . and share them with us!

I sure will Ben. I will create a new thread not to highjack this one of the process. I guess the hardest part is pretty much done with it being dug already and level from old pool.

+ Reply to Thread