+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: newbie -- looking for a long lasting above-ground (AG) pool

Cool newbie -- looking for a long lasting above-ground (AG) pool

Hey I am a newbie here! I am looking to talk to some above ground pool experts before I take the plunge!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: newbie here!

looking for a decent above ground pool that will last for yrs. Does anything have any brands you highly recommend? or a post that I can read that goes in detail about selecting one

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: newbie -- looking for a long lasting above-ground (AG) pool

Intex Ultra pools seem to have a 5+ year life, if cared for. The longest lived AG pools I've heard of are 25 - 30 years old; the only brand name I've seen associated with that has been Doughboy.

Doughboy has been a high end brand that has been sold in the South. FantaSea is another high end brand, but it may be available only in the Northeast. Other than that, long lasting brands seem to be somewhat regional.

Part of the problem is that many AG pools do not reflect 'stable' brands, with one company making pools in one location using a consistent set of methods over multiple years. I would avoid any Asian / Chinese made products that does not have a strong US brand presence (Intex is the only one I know of). From what I've been able to gather, Chinese made products are handled by a Chinese aggregator or importer located in the USA, who takes orders from US companies, and jobs out the work to 1 or more Chinese manufacturers. A single product might be actually made by 4 DIFFERENT manufacturers, and there is often almost no quality control. When there IS quality inspection in the US, the reports I've heard say that the Chinese importer ALWAYS tries to lower quality standards. A friend of mine, employed by a US auto parts distributor, worked almost full-time combating this problem! He said that the importers would sometimes agree on quality requirements, and then come back 2 weeks later and try to lower them.

Not all Asian made pool gear is junk -- Intex offers tremendous value and acceptable, if not great, quality -- but from what I can tell, all Chinese product, not overseen by a LARGE US company or a major Chinese brand, it is INCONSISTENT in quality. So, if you want consistent quality, look for US made products.

One other possible marker for a long lived pool: significant use of stainless steel or aluminum in the pool's construction. Going through Doughboy's video FAQ's may give you some things to look for:
    http://www.doughboy-pools.com/Videos/VideoFAQ.aspx

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Kayak is similar to FantaSea. My FantaSea is now 12 years old and I expect it, with maintenance and routine repairs to last indefinitely, although a new liner is on the near horizon....

You may want to look at Splash pools as well, probably the highest of the high-end soft-sided pools. I have not seen many people that have them but have not seen problems with them. They ARE expensive....
    Carl

what are your thoughts on this pool deal?? http://www.embassypools.com/content/specials/

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Judging from the address on that site (Embassy Pool Co, 315 N Sebastian Street, West Helen, AR 72390), Embassy Pools is an Internet only OR low-end brand of Hoffinger Industries, which is the Doughboy parent company.

The fact that Hoffinger appears to own the company would suggest that the warranty actually means something, and this page,http://www.embassypools.com/, indicates that the pools are US made, which is good.

pratzert is offline Lifetime Member Thread Analyst pratzert 0

Hi Ben.

Do you know if the Old Home and Roam Pool are being made anywhere?

I'm looking to replace my old Aurora 27'/54" Round. The pool was very nice.

The Laputka's are around, but I don't know if they are making pools anywhere.

Thanks.

I've never installed an AG pool, other than an Intex. The only things I know about AG brands are a few bits picked up at the supply house and similar locations, stuff I learn here . . . and whatever Google knows.

So . . . to answer your questions, I don't remember ever hearing of those brands, even though they may be rather common.

pratzert is offline Lifetime Member Thread Analyst pratzert 0

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    I've never installed an AG pool, other than an Intex. The only things I know about AG brands are a few bits picked up at the supply house and similar locations, stuff I learn here . . . and whatever Google knows.

So . . . to answer your questions, I don't remember ever hearing of those brands, even though they may be rather common.
    Thanks Ben.

Actually, that Home and Roam company has been out of business for about 14 years. I heard that Artesian Pool bought the pool business, and then it was bought by Wilbar.

The Aurora Pools were a special Resin type sub-business and when Eastern Mfg went belly up, Joseph Laputka started to mfg those pools in NY/NJ. After that, I lost track of them.

+ Reply to Thread