+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Already filled our pool...what now?

Default Already filled our pool...what now?

We re-filled our Summer Escapes 18' x 48" round frame pool about 3 weeks ago. Unfortunately I just found the Super Simple Recipe this past weekend...

From a pool chemistry standpoint, I think I'm still OK. I did the bucket test to confirm that metals aren't an issue. I've jumped past the 7-day Start-up phase and right to the maintenance phase. Both Saturday and Sunday nights I added 1c dichlor + 1c borax. I've been testing the Cl and pH in the morning with the HTH brand 3-way that we had from last season (I ordered a Taylor K-2006 today). Each morning the Cl was at 5ppm and pH 7.8.

Should I continue with this recipe of dichlor + borax at night? I assume the next thing I need to find out is how much CYA I have in the pool. The Taylor test kit may not arrive until early next week, so should I plan to keep up this routine until the kit arrives? Anything else I should be doing until I can get a better idea of the pool chemistry?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Already filled our pool...what now?

If you are going to get a Taylor K2006 . . . you should be fine to simply follow the recipe till then.

So long as you maintain chlorine levels, you're unlikely to have problems.

One caution: when you get the K2006, do NOT read the manual, and then feel the urge to start 'fixing' things. The worst feature of the K2006 is the manual, which is very much old-school pool chemistry. If you have adequate chlorine, and your pH is between 7.2 and 8.0 -- you're OK. Post test results, and we'll see if if anything needs to be adjusted, but do not worry about it otherwise.

Thanks, PoolDoc. I kept up with the nightly routine of dichlor & borax and the readings remained consistent throughout the week. The K2006 arrived today, and I have my first results to post:

FC: 8.0 ppm
    CC: 0.2 ppm
    pH: 7.8
    TA: 140 ppm
    CH: 250 ppm
    CYA: 35 ppm

How do you recommend I proceed from here?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Might want to ease off a bit on the borax, and let the pH drop some.

But generally, you're fine.

+ Reply to Thread