+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is the difference between a unit for IG vs AG

Default What is the difference between a unit for IG vs AG

In other words can you use a AG unit in an IG pool? Why or why not?

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: What is the difference between a unit for IG vs AG

If you are talking about pumps and filters, mostly it comes down to capacity. I don't much about AG filters and pumps, but I do know that IG filters and pumps can be used with AG pools.
    If you are taling about SWCGs, then many AG pool companies will void the warranty, others won't, and even sell their own units. Again, it comes down to capacity.
    My pool is technically an AG but functions more like an IG and I use an IG pump, filter and SWCG.
    Carl

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

I understand that IG pumps can self-prime and are made to pull water up from below; AG pumps are often designed to be flooded by the water above them. Also there is alot more shenanigans in the HP ratings of AG pumps.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    I understand that IG pumps can self-prime and are made to pull water up from below; AG pumps are often designed to be flooded by the water above them. Also there is alot more shenanigans in the HP ratings of AG pumps.
    Exactly although technically water can only be pushed and not pulled but that is a minor point.

But AG pumps are generally much smaller than similarly labeled IG pumps so for most situations I would not recommend an IG pump for an AG pool unless it is the smallest in the production line like the 1/2 HP Superpump or the 3/4 HP Superflo or the AG pool is very large. Otherwise, the pump is likely to be over-sized for the filter and pool. Plus you can get a much better deal on an AG combo setup than you would with IG components.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

We have an IG about 16000 gal. was just wondering if because it is small if we could get away with an AG set up because of the cost.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

SWCG life is a function of cell "ON-time". Our experience here is that most SWCG cells barely last to the end of their warranty, so we recommend over-sizing, rather than under-sizing. The reason is that if your SWCG is 2x the size you need, the ON-time, per pool season will be 1/2 of what it would have otherwise been . . . and the cell will last 2x as long (in years of pool operation, not in hours of cell ON-time).

By going with an AG SWCG, you'll be under-sizing rather than over-sizing, and this will result in premature failure. Most likely, the warranty will have a "cannot be used on IG pools" disclaimer, so you'll have no recourse when failure occurs.

BUT, the AG unit will produce just as much chlorine (while it still works) as it would have installed on an AG pool.

There's one other point to consider: installing an SWCG on an existing pool can result in problems. The increased salt DOES increase corrosion, and your pool may not have been built with that in mind. Some regions have more problem with salt than other, mostly due to dry climates resulting in the salt not being rinsed off by rain. You elected not to include your location, so I can't tell if that applies to you or not.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamon01 View Post
    We have an IG about 16000 gal. was just wondering if because it is small if we could get away with an AG set up because of the cost.
    Here's my view on that: If you are trying to low-ball the cost of an SWCG unit, as opposed to simply smart-shopping to get the best price, you'll save the MOST money by simply using the B-B-B system of pool maintenance.
    You'll take 2-5 minutes a day, and once a week 15 minutes (more if you hand vacuum). NO SWCG will save you enough to justify it. Given that, I have one and only installed it in the 11th year of my current pool because I'm away more than I used to be and can leave the pool confidently for 2 weeks or more.

In My Humble Opinion (IMHO).
    Carl

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

As to using an AG pump on a IG pool, it is possible but it depends on the installation height of the pump relative to the pool water (above or below and by how much) and/or the pump line. However, there are some AG pumps that self prime such as the Pentair Dynamo and Hayward Power Flo II that would work fine with an IG pool. But most AG pumps require a flooded suction.

Also I would not recommend using an Intex type of SWG and pump combo if that is what you are thinking. They are significantly under powered and definitely require a flooded suction.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

FYI: "flooded suction" = the pump is below the level of the pool's surface, and the piping is arranged so water will flow naturally by gravity into the pump.

Sorry I was talking about SWG and as to weather we can use a SWG intended for an AG pool in our IG pool. We have been using SWG but it needs to be replaced and because AG units are less I was just wondering if I can purchase an AG as a replacement. We currently have a Circupool RJ series. Had nothing but problems with it.

+ Reply to Thread