+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: MAYDAY! Pool leaking under winter cover!!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: MAYDAY! Pool leaking under winter cover!!

Tell me about it -- it was 53 yesterday afternoon, and currently it's 12, on its way down to 5. And, this is N. Georgia, supposedly in the (fairly) deep South.

Actually, we had this sort of weather fairly regularly when I was a kid. I remember a winter when we registered -4 F. on the thermometer at our house. But the last time any weather like this occurred was in the winter of 80/81. I was still a plumber then, and I worked my a## off for 2 weeks, fixing busted pipes.

Speaking of . . . there are a LOT of houses out there, built in the last 25 years, that have never been tested by this sort of weather. They will be discovering pipes too close to the exterior wall, water lines that were installed too close to the surface and more. There are also a lot of people that will discover, this spring, that the winterizing methods that have worked fine in the past didn't work so well this winter.

The kiddie pool I service a local country club was never designed for this sort of winter -- it was build about 25 years ago -- but that's not been a problem till now. I had to fill it to flood level, and restart the pump, so I could keep it circulating through all this.

Of course, I'm enjoying some aspects of this. Some conservative media outlets have been flogging some video quotes from Obama claiming that Nov 2013 had excessively warm temps due to global warming; I wonder if he'll now claim that the cold weather was caused by global warming, as a Brit 'scientist' did last winter. And, I've had to giggle, every time I think of that ship full of 'eco-tourists' who went to Antarctic to document the loss of coastal ice, but got stuck in the "missing" ice instead, along with a Chinese rescue ice-breaker.

well, it looks like the water level has stabilized. It's still way low, but if it stays around this level, it's going to be about a foot of water in the shallow. Beats having a hole in the dead bottom of the pool, right?

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

It certainly does! It looks like you have found approximately where your leak is, and since it's allowing you to keep 1' of water in the pool, you may well survive the winter with your pool intact and able to repair the liner. Good luck!
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread