+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Film on water - pool is fine otherwise

Default Film on water - pool is fine otherwise

Thanks to this site I've managed to operate our first AG pool successfully all summer. Even more so since upgrading to a sandpro pump and filter. It runs like a champ.

I have an Intex 15' x 42" pool. This model/size does not have any skimmer with it.

How can I tackle the film on the water? I've searched around here but have only seen 'spray water on it' and various aspects of 'Skimmer balls'. Short of figuring out how to rig a skimmer to our little pool, are there any other options, chemical or mechanical?

Thanks for all you do for us!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Film on water - pool is fine otherwise

Transparent,clear - most likely what I see described as sunblock/skin oils in other posts. Only visible when I can see light reflecting off it. When I skim the bugs etc off the surface it shows up on the netting as a brownish scum as it piles up on itself. The water return nozzle points right to the middle of the pool so there are a couple of still areas on the surface that allow it to sit unmolested.

Now that the pool chemistry seems to be in a regular routine for me (thanks to your site) this is really the only issue besides a tiny hole I found today in the liner. I can continue to swipe away the scum at cleanings but was looking for alternatives...

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Film on water - pool is fine otherwise

I think there only two things you can do about that sort of film:

1. Don't allow swimmers in the pool, unless they've showered with soap immediately before entering, OR

2. Get a 'real' skimmer, like this one: Intex Krystal Clear Wall-Mounted Pool Surface Skimmer Note that this skimmer only fits SOME Intex pools, and I can't find it on the Intex website, so you'd better call them, before you buy.

Please note that ONLY #1 will eliminate the film; #2 will merely reduce it. I've seen this on commercial pools, any time they have quite a few swimmers. It's worse in June, when everyone is covered in lotion, than in August, when most people at the pool are tan.

+ Reply to Thread