+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Beginning the search for a pool builder.

Default Beginning the search for a pool builder.

My wife and I are in the process of soliciting designs and proposals from pool constructors for a roughly 15' x 40' free form pool with spa, sun shelf and water feature. So far, we have only been in contact with one builder who has a good reputation with the Better Business Bureau and Angie's List and has been in business for approx. 34 years in Central Florida. We had a pool at the last house we owned and find we really miss having that body of water in near proximity even when we are not swimming in it. The last house was on a heavily-wooded lot and the pool had to be screened to minimize the debris that dropped into it. Since it was also pretty much in deep shadows most of the day that made for a double whammy when it came to pool temperatures. The next pool will be unscreened and the deck area will be surrounded by a 4' high metal fence. There are no large trees in the yard and none too near the property line on either side. The back of the lot faces an open area (mostly a large retention pond that never has any water in it, even in hurricane season).

At the last house we had a pool service but I think I will be giving the pool maintenance a shot myself this time. The last pool was a chlorine system and this one will be a SWCG. We had a Hayward Navigator-type cleaner on the last pool and I am pretty sure we will be going with a robotic cleaner that doesn't dump all the pool sweepings right back through the pump and into the filter.

We are just starting to get into the equipment choice phase of our first proposal and my preference is to pick equipment that is aimed at lower operating costs rather than low initial expenditure. This pool builder seems to like Pentair products and from what I read that would be a step up from the Hayward pump, chlorinator and filter we had on the previous pool.

Any suggestions anyone might have regarding pool cleaners, filter systems, pumps, etc. would be more than welcomed. Even though we had a pool before this still feels a lot like I imagine sky diving would be. No matter how much you read about it and talk with people who have done it, it's still kinda scary.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Beginning the search for a pool builder.

1. Avoid variable speed pumps -- the electronics are too sensitive to Florida lightning; get a 2 speed pump instead: cheaper, more reliable, easier to repair, and nearly as efficient.

2. Consider solar panels for heating, and a small DEDICATED pump for circulation. Builders oversize pool pumps to run the solar panels, and waste electricity year round. The 1/2HP Hayward should be large enough for any solar system. Heat pumps also perform well in Florida, but make sure you get a unit that is FULLY salt compatible.

3. Because they have a very limited dirt capacity, robotic cleaners work better out west, where there are few thunderstorms and leaves. The filter and pump basket is precisely where you want the debris to go - they are easier to clean than the robot. Consider a Polaris 380 with a dedicated line and pump.

4. Find someone who can do the timers / controls properly. Many electricians don't really know how.

5. Get an oversized sand filter -- with slow flow, sand filters will rival DE in water quality, and are MUCH easier to maintain.

6. SWCG's *are* chlorine systems -- you just put yourself in the chlorine manufacturing business! SWCG's do well for routine chlorine maintenance, but start-up, shut-down and algae control STILL needs to be done manually.

7. If you get an SWCG, get the largest unit you can. SWCG life is directly related to "ON" time. Few units last as many hours as claimed.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 07-23-2013 at 02:36 PM. Reason: fix typo

Smile Re: Beginning the search for a pool builder.

Thanks, Ben. This gives me a lot to think over and some different directions to look in.

Default Re: Beginning the search for a pool builder.

Your pool plans sound so nice! Best of luck and enjoy!
    ~24ft/54" Diamond Star AGP with Perma Salt (new to pools and lots to learn!)

+ Reply to Thread