+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My new intex 15" metal framed pool

Default My new intex 15" metal framed pool

Hello,
    I just put up my 15' Intex Metal Framed pool.
    It is a 4400 Gallon Pool.

Some of the Questions/Concerns I have are:
    1) How long should the pump be on (per day in Summertime) to thoroughly clean my pool?
    2) Is there a certain size Chlorinator (Floater thing) that I should get for it to help keep it clean?

I will be getting Test Strips, Net etc. for it soon.
    With my inflatable ring pool a couple of years ago, I got a Vacuum type thing that hooked up to the Garden Hose and I could Vacuum my pool.
    But my new pool is like 5' high and I don't want to have to get IN the pool every time to vacuum it.

Is there some unit that they make that hooks to your Garden Hose
    that lays on the bottom of my pool and vacuums it?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: My new intex 15" metal framed pool

I will let someone else discuss vacuum cleaner options for Intex pools with you as I don't really keep up on those.

But, let me encourage you NOT to buy test strips. They are usually junk and worthless. Better to get a good kit. We like the Taylor K-2006 or 2006 (test kit link in my signature below.)

It would probably be very convenient for you if you use our startup recipe for Intex pools. Until your registration is complete, you won't be able to follow a link if I post it here. So, let me just tell you where to find it. Log out and go to the "Pool Chemistry for Intex-Type Pools" section of the forum. The start up recipe is the second stickied thread. (You will have to log out first to see the rest of the forum, however. Once your membership is upgraded, that will no longer be necessary.)

Read that and see what you think about following that plan for starting up your new pool.

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

I need some input please.

I realize that I did some things inncorrectly in setting up my pool FIRST, and THEN looking for sanitizing solutions.
    I am in a Rural area, on a fixed income, so WalMart is my only option for pool supplys. I have purchased an Intex 15'X48" above ground pool.
    It went approx 7 days in triple didgit heat, with NO CHEMICALS.

2 days ago, I went out and bought:
    HTC Shock Treatment
    HTC # in 1 Chlorinating Tablets
    Pool Test Kit

I turned on the pump and Shocked the pool, waited 4 hours and put in one of the 3 in 1 tablets.

I kept the pump running all night.
    Within 8 hours I saw a difference, and the next day it was clear as a bell.
    I turned the pump off last night. Came out this morning and although the pool looked a "little" cloudy but not much. I then checked the Chemicals.
    I have provided a link (below) to my Facebook page showing
    a photo gallery of the Chemicals I purchased and a photo of today's test results.

It looks like the PH is OFF THE CHARTS and there's no Bromine.

I'm wondering if I can "shock" rthe water again (been 3 days)?
    Supposedly with this Chemical you CAN'T "over-shock it".

The link is [unclear photo removed -- Admin]

Any advice/help you could give, (with the chemicals I bought) would really been appreciated.

Roger

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

The HTH 3-in-1 Chlorinating Skimmer tablets are just calcium hypochlorite diluted with magnesium sulfphate. They've also added 1% sodium tripolyphosphate, which is a detergent of sorts. I wouldn't recommend them, but they are OK to use for now. HTH sells a bunch of different blends of chemicals under the term "shock", so I don't know about that.

Do this:

1. Get a cheap OTO / phenol red DROPS kit (yellow / red drops), and use it.

2. Get 10 gallons of PLAIN 8.25% bleach. Start adding 1/2 gallon each evening. Test chlorine before adding. If chlorine levels are light yellow or below, add a repeat dose.

3. Post the EXACT name of the shock material, so we can look it up, and see if you can use it.

4. READ the SS recipe page -- it covers many things you need to know.

5. You can continue to use the HTH tablets. Just don't pour the bleach on top of the tablets.

Im using HTH "Shock 'N Swim".
    Comes in 1 lb bags and half a bag treats 5000 gallon pools.
    (my pool is roughly 4000gal).
    So ad a 1/2 gallon of bleach every day?
    As of yesterday, I'm showing NO CHLORINE or BROMINE in my pool test kit.
    The water on that side is completly clear. The PH on the other side of the tester, is way over 8.0.
    I had put pictures and linked it to my Face Book page but Admin removed them.
    I guess I'm too new to try and be posting pictures/links yet.
    The Test Kit is an HTH $7.00 test kit with Yellow and Red drops.

Roger

I removed the link -- either because it didn't show enough detail to provide useful info OR because you hadn't made the pictures viewable to people who weren't your Facebook friends. (I can't remember, because I've done this a couple of times over the last few days - I've been at a family reunion, and have only had an hour or so each day to check the forum.)

Yes, 1/2 gallon of bleach EVERY evening.

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    I removed the link -- either because it didn't show enough detail to provide useful info OR because you hadn't made the pictures viewable to people who weren't your Facebook friends. (I can't remember, because I've done this a couple of times over the last few days - I've been at a family reunion, and have only had an hour or so each day to check the forum.)

Yes, 1/2 gallon of bleach EVERY evening.
    Please don't get me wrong.
    I was not bad mouthing the Admin.
    When I made that Facebook gallery,
    I set it to "public" so anyone can see it.
    They don't even have to be registered on
    Facebook. The pictures were of the
    Brand and description of the chemicals I
    Purchased, so everyone would know, before
    They tried to help me. At this point I need
    Some Ph down and something to get
    The chlorine level up. I will try the Bleach
    To see if that at least gives me enough
    So that my tester recognizes it.

UPDATE:
    Well I must say after 4 or so weeks of being a pool owner, (for me), it was a bear to get everything "dialed in".
    Id say the 3" Chlorine tablets and the floater thing they fit into, was a waste of money.
    The 1/2 gallon of bleach every night worked great in bringing up the Chlorine level.
    Seems as though my PH goes high all the time, so I bought some "PH Lowering powder".
    Worked GREAT to lower the PH.
    Even after everything was in acceptable limits, the water wasn't as "Clear" as I'd like it.
    I happened to stumble on to a product that is super concentrated, and will clear up your pool water
    without affecting the chemical balance. I used oz. in a 50000 gallon pool and with in an hour I could see a difference.
    Within 3 hours it was sparkling clear. You ad oz., once a week.

+ Reply to Thread