+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New to this forum - 24' AG pool with algae

Default New to this forum - 24' AG pool with algae

I have only owned a real pool for a year. Have an above ground 24 ft pool. opened it after the winter and found slight green. Now it is cloudy but clean. Have read that ph needs to be higher in order to make it clear. Using my AquaCheck strips my ph is at 6.8, my free chlorine is at .3 - .5 ppm , Alkalinity is 80 ppm and my stabilizer is at 30 ppm.

Should I continue testing with the strips or change to a Taylor test kit ?

Default Loving this forum

For some one who is new to pools< I am finding a lot of useful information being shared here. Awesome.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Loving this forum

Glad you think so. We do, too!

I see that you started three threads. I'm sure it is because when you posted, your post didn't not show up. That is because when a new member posts, the post goes to a moderation queue where it waits until one of us approves it and mods it in. So, it won't show up as soon as you post, but we do try and clear the queue multiple times per day so it usually doesn't take too long.

You should absolutely order a Taylor K-2006 or 2006C kit from the test kit link in my signature below. We don't trust test strips. In the meantime, go to Walmart and pick up an OTO/Phenol Red kit (yellow and red drops), a couple of boxes of 20 Mule Team Borax (laundry aisle), and several jugs of plain, unscented bleach. Test your water and post the readings and someone will help you go from there.

Welcome to the Pool Forum!
    Last edited by Watermom; 07-05-2013 at 07:37 PM.

Default Re: Loving this forum

Tested my pool with test kit. I have the following. TC 4ppm , PH 6.8, Alk 110, Hardness 200. Have Borax in order to raise PH.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Loving this forum - 24' AG pool with algae

What is your stabilizer level? That is critical, especially when removing or controlling algae. Read the Best Guess page, linked in my signature.

membership updated.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Loving this forum - 24' AG pool with algae

He noted above stabilizer was 30ppm.

Get going with that Borax! If your kit reads pH of 6.8 that means it could actually be lower than that since 6.8 is the lowest reading on the kit.

Default Re: New to this forum - 24' AG pool with algae

Thanks , I have started adding Borax. Is there any set amounts to add in order to raise the ph ? I understand you need to give it time to work.

Default Re: New to this forum - 24' AG pool with algae

Thank for info about borax. Now my readings are FC 6.4 ppm , ph 7.2 ppm , Alk 200ppm , CH 170 ppm , CYA 30 ppm
    21 ft Round 10,000 gallon AGP Vogue Zenith, Hayward Pro Series Model No. S180T1585STL filter, Power-Flo LX Model No.SP1580X15TLFP Pump, Vari-Flo Valve Model No. SP0714T1.

Smile Re: New to this forum - 24' AG pool with algae

The water is very clear now. Able to see the bottom. I am now using the K 2006 test kit, so I believe the change in Alk, and CH is from being able to properly test my water.

I have been using BioGuard Silk Tabs with Trichloro-s-triazinetrione 93.9% Other Ingredients 6.1% in a floating dispenser. Since they have helped with my chlorine levels planning to finsh what little I have left and then switch to liquid unscented bleach. Since my initial purchase of borax i have found it was sold out. I check the ingredients on Arm and Hammer washing soda and found it to be the sodium carbonate as is Borax. Also it was a lower price.

I am planning to take a vacation in August for about 10 days. Any suggestions as to what I should raise my levels to to keep things in check. My neighbor will keep an eye on things, but will not be testing water, just making sure nothing breaks.
    21 ft Round 10,000 gallon AGP Vogue Zenith, Hayward Pro Series Model No. S180T1585STL filter, Power-Flo LX Model No.SP1580X15TLFP Pump, Vari-Flo Valve Model No. SP0714T1.

+ Reply to Thread