+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pool resurfacing

Default Pool resurfacing

Our 16 year old pool is in need of resurfacing for the first time. I have made a few calls and people seem to have different approaches to the way they replaster. Some people tell me that they chip off all of the old plaster and give it a muriatic acid wash before plastering and some say that they just chip away the plaster from the tile and the light, etc and paint epoxy over the old plaster, then add new plaster. This is very expensive and I want to do it properly. Could anyone let me know the best way to have this done?

Thanks,
    Lori

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Pool resurfacing

Have never head of putting epoxy between old and new plaster.

Ask for a list of jobs down 3 - 7 years ago, that you can take a look at -- success is the best argument. Pool refinishing is very, very dependent on installer skill and dedication. Material used is much less important.

Unfortunately, there's little I can do to help, since the leg work needed is 100% local.

Thanks for your answer. I would love to hear about prices, length of time that the plaster should last, etc.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Lori O View Post
    I would love to hear about prices, length of time that the plaster should last, etc.
    You, and everyone else.

Unfortunately, prices vary a LOT across the country. So, getting comparison prices from an online forum -- with members all across the country -- would actually be very misleading. What you need are prices from your AREA, and that's something you can't get from an online pool forum.

Sorry.

I got a quote for replastering my pool but ended up repainting instead. I was told the way this company does it is to chip out plaster below the tile line so that the new plaster meets up with the tile and then sandblast the rest to remove the paint and rough up the surface, then they replaster.

I was also told by the contractor who painted my pool that you only need to replaster if the plaster is crumbling or falling off in chunks. If it is more of a cosmetic issue you can just repaint every 5 yrs or so.
    18x36 rectangle 20.6K* gal IG painted concrete pool; floater; Pentair Tagelus sand filter; Pentair SuperFlo 1.65HP pump; 12 hrs; gas heater; K2006 Taylor; utility water; summer: none; winter: Haven't gotten to my first winter yet; none; PF:5.8

I live in southwest Utah and I have 14x28 in-ground and just got a estimate for a complete replaster. I have been told the best method is the complete chip out and re plaster. My estimate was 8k which I thought was high but I truly have no clue. Biggest thing is make sure you use someone with a lot of experience and get references of some jobs like 5 or more yrs old!

+ Reply to Thread