+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Water Test Results

Default New Water Test Results

Hi,

I finally got around to buying a good test kit since the vinyl liner was replaced in my inground pool last month. Since the liner was replaced, the only chemicals I have added to the pool are the Blue Shield Jumbo Slo-Poke chlorine tabs in a floater. Here are the results I got from the TF-100 kit last night.

FC = 3.5
    CC = 0
    PH = 6.8 or lower since that was the lowest the tester goes
    TA = 60
    CH = 90
    CYA = 0? I filled the CYA view cylinder all the way to the top with the pool water solution and could still see the black dot on the bottom. I performed the test twice with the same result.
    Water temperature = 72 degrees F

I know I need to bring the PH up so I will stop at the store to get some borax after work tonight.

Do I need to adjust the TA or CH or are they ok at the current levels?

Should I add stabilizer since CYA isn't detectable by the test kit? I thought there would be at least a little bit from the chlorine tabs. I have a lot of tabs that I bought right before finding this site so I will continue to use them either until they are gone or my CYA level gets up to the ideal range.

I would also like to add borates to the pool, but will wait to get borate test strips since they were out of stock when I ordered the TF-100 test kit.

Anything else I need to consider to get the pool balanced? Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!
    Zack

P.S. My pool is a 16'x32' oval IG pool with 300 lb Hayward sand filter and Hayward Super Pump.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: New Water Test Results

1. Chlorine is fine for CYA=0ppm
    2. Raise the pH ASAP -- low pH damages both liners and concrete pools.
    3. Use borax, now. You do NOT have to be able to test it, to begin using it. Use it to raise the pH.
    4. Do not try to adjust the Alk or Calc until you have the pH in range, and have some CYA present.
    5. You NEVER need to *raise* Calc (CH) in a liner pool.
    6. If you have a Sams Club in your area, you may want to purchase a 24# box or 50# bucket of dichlor. Of all the big retailers, Sams Club is the ONLY one we know of consistently selling undiluted dichlor -- and for an excellent price. Dichlor will add chlorine + CYA, and you need both. But it will tend to drive the pH down, so stay on top of the borax.

Ben - Thanks for the quick response. I will get the borax today to raise the pH. When I posted above about adding borates, I meant up to the 50 ppm level.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Yeah I doubt you will reach that, just fixing the pH, but if you do, so much the better. BTW, a number of folks who've used borax for years try to keep it higher.

What concentration of borax should I shoot for in the pool for the most benefit? Would it still be safe for young children at higher than 50 ppm?

We've seen no evidence for concern at levels under 100 ppm* . . . unless you have male breeding dogs who frequently drink from the pool. Apparently, if male dogs drink a LOT from pools with borax levels greater than 50 ppm, it may reduce their fertility.

Of course, if you have teen boys in the pool, that might be a *good* thing.

(Just kidding!)

* FYI: Haven't seen evidence for problems at 200ppm, either, but I haven't heard of anyone trying to reach those levels.

+ Reply to Thread