+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need suggestions for a new cleaner

Lightbulb Need suggestions for a new cleaner

I'm just using the last breath of my Hayward Phantom, which was a big mistake. I'm ready for a new cleaner. I have a rectangular pool with rather sharp corners. I'm next to open space and have a cyprus tree and a olive tree to contend with=lots of debris in the pool. Any suggestions?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Need suggestions for a new cleaner

I don't have a suggestion for you but hopefully someone else will. But, it might be helpful to note if this is a vinyl or gunite pool. That may influence recommendations to know that information.

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Need suggestions for a new cleaner

I only have experience personally with the Polaris pressure-side pool cleaners, and your pool has to be plumbed for those, when built. But I think most of the more expensive Polaris cleaners have worked fairly well.

Here are some general guidelines:

1. Pressure side cleaners outperform suction side cleaners.

2. Booster pump cleaners outperform pool pump pressure-side cleaners.

3. Robotic cleaners work well with dust, pollen and small amounts of debris, but not so well with leaves and large amounts of debris. This means they are best out West and with indoor pools, and not so good in the East or in pools with surrounding vegetation.

4. Non-robotic cleaners often have to be adjusted carefully to work well. Polaris has detailed adjustment info in their manuals, but the process requires careful attention to tedious details -- a skill many pool guys lack.

5. If you want a cleaner that 'just works' buy a pool with a pre-plumbed and installed booster pump cleaner OR buy a robotic cleaner . . . and remove bushes and trees from around the pool.

6. In your case, with no dedicated booster pump line, you probably need to consider what's worse for you: cutting down the trees and using a robotic cleaner, or spending the time (and possibly money) to tune up a pressure side cleaner.

Here's a good pressure side option:
    Polaris 360
    Polaris 360 manual (read before buying!)
    Zodiac F1 Polaris Vac-Sweep 360 Head and Hose Pressure Side Pool Cleaner @ Amazon (read reviews!)
    And, a robotic option
    Aqua Products Aquabot Turbo
    Aquabot manual (again, read before buying!)
    Aquabot ABTTJET Turbo T Jet Robotic In-Ground Pool Cleaner @ Amazon
    Of course these options require a lot from you. You can hire it done, of course. But if you 'buy a cleaner' there's a good chance you won't get what you want. What I would suggest is seeing if you can find a pool guy who will sell you on performance. In other words, you agree to "pay $1500 for a pool cleaning system installed, that will consistently remove 95% of visible pool debris in 4 hours, and require less than 10 minutes of maintenance by you, per 4 hours of vac operation".

If you find someone local who REALLY knows cleaners, they may be happy to do this. But even if you don't, the excuses the contractors give, to avoid such a contract, will give you some insight into what they really know about the cleaners they are selling.

Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread