+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: brown water AGAIN

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: brown water AGAIN

1. Use polyquat initially, instead of chlorine (info, below). It will keep your pool from turning green, and will help filter the iron, etc. Once the pool is full, add very small doses of chlorine, gradually raising the chlorine level.

2. Make sure you are cleaning your cartridges properly. Links and info below.

Ben
    ==============================

+ Chlorine is the strongest algaecide you can buy . . . but occasionally, you may need a different one. Almost the only alternative algaecide we recommend is polyquat -- poly [oxyethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene dichloride] . This product is a GOOD clarifier and a moderately good algaecide, with almost no bad side effects. We often recommend it for use when you are going on vacation, or when you need to lower your chlorine, to prevent remove stains. It has become quite difficult to purchase locally at the normal full strength 60% concentration. If you find it locally, at a 60% concentration, that's fine. But be SURE to check the chemical name. If you need to buy it online, here's an Amazon link:
    Kem-Tek 311-6 Pool and Spa 60-Percent Concentrated Algaecide, 1 Quart
    + The OEM cartridges in Intex / Summer Escapes / etc. filters are not high quality. The Intex manuals recommend replacing them completely every 2 weeks. A BETTER option is to replace them permanently with 2 - 3 Unicel cartridges, and rotating them through a cleaning solution. Properly maintained, the Unicel cartridges will last all season AND will filter better. So even though they cost more per cartridge, they cost less per season! Learn to maintain them, by reading this post, Cleaning-your-Cartridge-Filter-wiithout-Damaging-It!

But, purchasing them is tricky. Amazon does not consistently stock them, and some of the 3rd party sellers are charging high prices and/or high shipping. So, check the Amazon link, but watch out for the prices and shipping costs.

It would be nice if you could just buy them elsewhere, but many of the online pool stores are listing Pleatco or other Asian made low quality filters, as "Unicel C-4607 type" or "fits Unicel C-4607". So shop carefully!

Here are the Amazon links:
    Unicel C-4607 Replacement Filter Cartridge (Easy Set Size A or C) @ Amazon
    Unicel C-5315 Replacement Filter Cartridge for 15 Square Foot Intex B Filter @ Amazon

Thanks so much Ben for all your information. You are a winner for sure! I will get the polyquat (we've already gotten the filters from Amazon).
    I have been trying to read all the posts about caring for indoor pools, but there is much to absorb. Especially for brains that are not quite a flexible as they once were.
    be well,
    15 round 4.4K* gal Intex AG vinyl pool; swcg ; unicel A/C cartridge filter; Krystal Clear 637R 1 speed pump; 8 hrs; SWCG; Taylor K2006; well; summer: pool in inside conservatory; winter: pool in inside conservatory; android phone; PF:27.3

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Please let us know how it goes. I'm trying to learn more about how to help people manage pools filled with well water, but often we don't here how things end up.

I certainly will let you know how things go. I get the feeling we will need to subscribe to the forum as I feel many questions coming up. Dick ordered his birthday present solar heater today after spending several days on the computer and with the WW Grainger catalogue. I foresee many questions down the road as we learn how to manage an indoor pool.
    Thanks again, your help in invaluable.
    15 round 4.4K* gal Intex AG vinyl pool; swcg ; unicel A/C cartridge filter; Krystal Clear 637R 1 speed pump; 8 hrs; SWCG; Taylor K2006; well; summer: pool in inside conservatory; winter: pool in inside conservatory; android phone; PF:27.3

Good Morning,
    Water in both pool and the bucket test from this well are still "crystal" clear. As the pool is almost full now, I've another question. I understand about adding the polyquat before the chlorine, but should we add the polyquat before we begin adding the salt?

I would.

The polyquat will prevent algae, and will help your filters trap any metals that do begin to precipitate. Also, I would NOT turn your SWCG on until you have MANUALLY brought your chlorine up to good levels.

Okay. I will add polyquat, then begin dosing with bleach and bringing the ph up (it's in the 6.5/6.8 range) before I add salt and turn on the salt system. I did seem that adding salt raised the ph before, but that was with the other well water. BTW 5 days in the bucket tests for both wells show the small well water still clear and the big well water still brown with splotches of brown beginning to coagulate along the sides of the bucket and on the bottom.

+ Reply to Thread