+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: dichlor (a sunlight stabilized form of chlorine)

Default dichlor (a sunlight stabilized form of chlorine)

hi i would like to know if i can use this

HTH® Chlorine Granules,

if not where can i get some in Canada?

thx

Default Re: dichlor (a sunlight stabilized form of chlorine)

hi

i just got my 6-way test kit and did the test

cl/br 5-10
    H.P 7.2
    cya 0
    alk 180
    har 200

put a new Filter today old one look copper color. the pool is green to need some help what to do now. i did have a lot of rain today to

the pool is 18ft X 52in one from canadian tire and i Fill from a well sorry did not see this before i did. i did the Bucket test for metals today

what i did
    Fill the second white bucket with 4 gallons of FILL water, from whatever source is used to fill the pool.
    To each bucket, add 1/2 cup of bleach & mix (~80 gal bleach /10K gal pool -- 480 ppm)
    Mix completely with the spoon
    Wait 15 minutes, and note any color change.

did not change color

thx for help
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 09-08-2012 at 10:43 PM. Reason: turn signature on
    18 oval 7K gal Intex-type AG vinyl pool; splash time, a+c cartridge filter; sfs2000 210watts 2.2amps 2000g.p.h pump; 8 hrs; 1. aquarius, test strips just got aquarius, trousse d'analyse dual test kit; well; summer: solar; winter: none; iPhone; PF:17

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

1 gallon of plain 6% bleach will add about 8 ppm of chlorine to your pool; start dosing with TWO gallons, each evening, till the green is gone.

Usually, you don't have metals in well water when you have high pH + high alkalinity + high calcium.

thx for that and sorry for have to on the go, will do it tomorrow i tell u have it go
    18 oval 7K gal Intex-type AG vinyl pool; splash time, a+c cartridge filter; sfs2000 210watts 2.2amps 2000g.p.h pump; 8 hrs; 1. aquarius, test strips just got aquarius, trousse d'analyse dual test kit; well; summer: solar; winter: none; iPhone; PF:17

When buying bleach, check the strength of the bleach carefully. I haven't found any generic brand 6%. Walmart's is 4% and a lot of other stores don't tell you the strength and it is usually as low as 3%. You may find some Clorox in 6% strength.

If they still have it in stock, you can 12% liquid pool chlorine (bleach by another name), at CTC - the Aquaris brand is $4.69 for 5 litres, which is about 1.3 US gallons. As I learned here, if you don't use the 12% right away, keep it in a cool place as at 80 degrees+ it will lose strength very quickly... not a issue this weekend anyway.

The pucks sold at CTC, Walmart, or pool stores like Campbell or Mermaid all have stablizer in them. "stabilized chlorine" is not any different than bleach or other methods of delivering chlorine. It just means that they had included stabilizer (CYA) with the chlorine.

You can buy stabilizer (CYA) by itself, so you can bring up the stabilizer level and use regular bleach.

Stabilizer will break down over winter, so with the weather, and that we are pretty well at the end of the season, there likely isn't a big advantage in adding a lot now.

Ton of rain today, at least 2 inches. Had to drain the pool as the water level was above the skimmer.
    IG 32' x 16', vinyl 19,500 l, Sand filter, Hawyard Low NOx 250,000 btu heater
    Heating? Great info on why a solar cover saves $$$?
    http://energy.gov/energysaver/articl...ng-pool-covers

Hi if I get the 4% one do I just put more in the pool or do I need the 6%?

Thx

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

4% is fine; just add 1.5x as much.

Is 4% the more common strength in Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post

Is 4% the more common strength in Canada?
    3-4% is common for the supposedly cheaper store branded bleach. 5.25% is common for name brands like Javex or Clorox, but the cost is quite a bit more. Sometimes you can find 6% Clorox.

Walmart used to carry 6% in its generic brand, like in the US, but changed that to 4% last year while leaving the price the same. All the store brands that I have checked are 3% to 4%, which doesn't end up as much of a saving.

Just to edit - this is for my location and seems to hold for Ontario in the east. It may be different in Western Canada as there can be significant differences in what is available.

That's why I have steered Canuck posters to the 12% at Canadian Tire. 5 litres sells for $4.69 vs. $8.99 at the pool store.
    IG 32' x 16', vinyl 19,500 l, Sand filter, Hawyard Low NOx 250,000 btu heater
    Heating? Great info on why a solar cover saves $$$?
    http://energy.gov/energysaver/articl...ng-pool-covers

I gather that Canadian Tire is a multi-line distributor with many outlets in eastern Canada?

ya its like a Walmart, just a guys Walmart, lol

pool is looking better today thx just put 2 more gallons in it

+ Reply to Thread