+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help with deck ideas

Default Help with deck ideas

I am doing a deck surrounding my pool but want outdoor carpet on deck, need some help, pics, advice welcome

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Help with deck ideas

That's a first. I can't ever remember someone here on the forum asking about putting outdoor carpet on their pool deck. We'll see if you get any replies with ideas.

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

I am no expert, just joined this forum myself.

But from past experiences on regular house decks with only large outdoor carpet runners or mats, it will hold lots of moisture under it after rains and will be a green slimy mess and take for ever to dry and I would think quickly ruin the wood.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by rajung View Post
    But from past experiences on regular house decks with only large outdoor carpet runners or mats, it will hold lots of moisture under it after rains and will be a green slimy mess and take for ever to dry and I would think quickly ruin the wood.
    . . . sounds reasonable to me.

Years ago, the last owner of our house had outdoor carpet installed over the concrete pool decking. The concrete was very pebbly exposed aggregate and drained OK, but it did stay wet for quite a while. However, in our climate it usually only rains in the winter, so it had a lot less water on it in the summer, just what splashed out of the pool.

Even still, it really only lasted about 5 years, 3 years looking good. Even if the water didn't ruin it very fast, the sun degraded it even faster. The last 3 years or so, had the fibers coming loose and blowing around, sticking to your suit when you sat on it, and even got into the pool. We ripped it out pretty soon after moving in. And that was over concrete which had no bad effects from being covered. I think wood would suffer some water damage.

How about a large piece that's bound at the edges that you could use to enjoy the feel, but roll up when not in use or if it's raining?
    17x40 free-form 35K gal IG pool; trichlor feeder; System:3, S8D110 DE filter; Max-E-Glas II, 1 HP pump; 4.5 hrs; OTO kit - K2006 ordered; utility water; none; PF:3.4

+ Reply to Thread