+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Test Results...I think!

Default Test Results...I think!

I finally got a test kit. Those little buggers aren't cheap. We have a SWG but I am not using it until I can get things figured out. Is that okay?

My chlorine didn't even register on the drop kit. I just did a shock yesterday. (the strips said I was in range...But I know that isn't overly accurate)
    PH is 8.2
    Alk I got to 15 drops and the color never changed so I stopped...
    CYA appears to be zero

I know these aren't really all the numbers, but I feel I may need to get the PH and Chlorine figured out before I go any further. I have purchased some crazy saltwater pool start up chemical at Wal-mart, only because it was the only one with CYA in it. I also have bleach, borax and a PH riser chemical (not Baking Soda, just because Wal-Mart is out...CRAZY)

Any input would be great. If you need more information please let me know. Thanks!!!

Default Re: Test Results...I think!

Walmart does have plain CYA.. it's labeled as "Stabilizer and Conditioner" and has a purple cap. At my Walmart it was hidden away on the bottom shelf next to all the clarifiers... you may have to hunt to find it but if the store locator says yours has it, you can probably find it.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Dw4scoobydoo View Post
    My chlorine didn't even register on the drop kit.
    PH is 8.2
    Alk I got to 15 drops and the color never changed so I stopped...
    CYA appears to be zero
    1. Complete the pool chart, so I can tell what you are dealing with:
    Pool Chart Entry Form
    2. Add small doses of acid EVERY day till your pH is 7.8 or below.

3. Add 1 gallon of bleach EVERY EVENING per 10K gallons of pool water, till you can sustain chlorine through the day.

4. Put your stabilizer in a sock and hang it in front of a return, till it dissolves or till we work out a better way for you to do it, after we see the Chart.

Filled out the chart you requested, thank you for directing me there. I have been dumping acid in daily, with no real affect on the PH level. I may have gotten a little bit over excited today and dumped in more than usual. We will see what it looks like in the AM.

I had a nice high chlorine reading yesterday, but today - back to zero. Added some bleach, not sure how much I added, but I just wanted to get something in there.

Figured out how it all went bad...my SWG keeps getting corroded and was giving a low salt reading. Causing it not to work….I however was unaware of this in the beginning because I wasn’t caring for the pool (until now, DH is no longer on that job, he is on dish duty). I soaked the cell in vinegar and it worked for 2 nights. Then it went back to saying low salt. Tested salt and it was in the range. So back to the vinegar soak, of course I am out of vinegar, so we are trying to use the bleach to keep the pool in range until the SWG is working again.

My kids keep asking to swim. Once adding the acid about how long should we wait? Does anyone have some ideas on how to prevent the cell from corroding?
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 08-06-2012 at 11:58 AM. Reason: turn signature on
    15' round 3.8K gal Intex AG pool; SWCG; Wal mart cartridge filter; wet set krystal clear model 520 1/2 HP pump; 24hrs; HTH 6 way test kit; strips for Salt and Copper (and 6 way strips that I don't really use); well; android phone; PF:31

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

1. Test the pool. When chlorine is above 2 ppm and pH is between 7 & 8, they can swim -- if the water is clear and not slimey.

2. Test your CYA level; sounds like you need dichlor to add some CYA (stabilizer).

3. If it's a new pool, call Intex for replacements on the SWCG. Otherwise, forget about it -- it's not that hard to run it manually.

4. Read the muriatic acid page linked in my blue signature box. Get a jug. Fix the pH.

YAY, just did another test and the PH is finally down! HOWEVER my TA is still at 220.

Is that an issue? Does that ever lower with time?

Another strange question...can I add my bleach during the day or should I do it at night?
    15' round 3.8K gal Intex AG pool; SWCG; Wal mart cartridge filter; wet set krystal clear model 520 1/2 HP pump; 24hrs; HTH 6 way test kit; strips for Salt and Copper (and 6 way strips that I don't really use); well; android phone; PF:31

As per what the Mods here have said many times, you may need to add bleach many times throughout the day to keep chlorine in the water until your CYA comes up to a reasonable level. I've seen also many times here, wait 15 - 20 minutes after dosing to give it time to mix, then let the kids swim.

If you have time, read through many of the threads here. It will help immensely!

Also, even with a small pool like what you and I have, the Taylor K-2006 is a HUGE help in keeping your water in good shape!
    15' round 4.8K gal Intex AG pool; Intex 633 pump with twin canisters (2500 gph main filtering); Unicel 5315 filter cartridges; Intex 637 pump w/o filter (1000 gph heater circulation); 4hrs; K-2006; utility water; PF:24

Quote Originally Posted by Dw4scoobydoo View Post
    HOWEVER my TA is still at 220. Is that an issue? Does that ever lower with time?
    It's kinda high; lower your pH to 7.0 - 7.2, and keep it there -- if you do, the TA will drop over time.

Another strange question...can I add my bleach during the day or should I do it at night?
    You can add it anytime, but you'll get more 'bang for your buck' if you add it in the evening

. . . . did you ever test your CYA levels (stabilizer)? You need to do that!

+ Reply to Thread