+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: pool newbie with cloudy water

Default pool newbie with cloudy water

I have a 15' Intex Easy Set, filled with well water (abt 5,000 gal). I used a hose filter (10" Bobby by Hayward) I bought at a local pool store, which did not appear to do any good. I have not had clear water since I filled it, after using ferri-iron tabs (week 1) and metal free (week 3). It's got a model 637 filter pump (900-1,000 gph) with a type A Intex filer.

I use test strips, although I know after reading in the forum that water test is the way to go. Ph, TA, and FAC are all in spec according to the strips. I used muratic acid week 2 to lower TA, and then ph plus to get that back up.

The water is greenish orange and I can't see the bottom of the pool.

I'm running the pump 18 hours/day or more and cleaning the filter daily. I tried vacuuming using the crappy hose attachment, which is ineffective.

Looking for advice get to clear water.

Do I need a better pump? (I will buy the Unicel filters.) What type of vaccum should I use? Should I buy a skimmer for Easy Set? Help!

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: pool newbie with cloudy water

When you say that pH, TA, and FAC are all in spec according to the strips, that doesn't really tell us anything because the strips just aren't that accurate. It sounds like you have iron in the water, which will need to be filtered out. You have a couple of options there....if you'll log out of the forum, go back to the forum home page, under the second set of threads, and look at the first one there that says "pool chemistry for Intex-type pools", then open that and read the first sticky, called "before you fill your Intex-type pool with well water!". That sticky should answer most of your questions, but if it doesn't, feel free to come back and post them here and we'll try to help.

Welcome to the forum!
    Janet

Thank for the reply!

I purchased the HTH 6-way test and took readings tonight:
    total chlorine - 0
    pH - 7.5
    TA 210
    hardness 370
    CA- the dot did not disappear
    I also did the soda test and the water was cloudy.

My water looks just like the pic sbrouilette posted (cloudy blue/green) in her post titled "water color problems, ready to give up". I have ordered unicel filters, bought 60% plyquat/algaecide and am hunting down dichlor. (Can I use 6% bleach instead?) I also need a better vac and skimmer, which I'm pursuing.

I'm wondering if the directions provided to sbrouilette by pool doc in the post mentioned would be good for me, too? Help is much appreciated!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Test your FILL water, and report those values ASAP. Start the bucket test for lime softening AND metals on the FILL water.

Before we try to clean up what you've got, I want to know (1) if there are metals in your pool and fill water, and (2) if it would be easier for you to start with fresh water.

Don't use the polyquat, Unicels, etc. until we've worked out the best way to go. Keep an eye on the METALS bucket test; if you see brownish-orange sediment, you'll need to get a bottle of HEDP, as well. But, DO NOT put it in, yet.

Meanwhile, you can use bleach to chlorinate each night. If you aren't brushing up algae, 1/4 gallon of bleach each evening should keep your pool on track, till we work out what to do. If you want to swim, check the water -- if the OTO is yellow, you're good to go.

Thanks, Pool Doc! Here are the fill water measures:
    total chlorine - 0
    pH - 7.5
    TA 340
    hardness 360
    CA- the dot did not disappear

I started the bucket test with fill water. Fifteen minutes after the bleach, the water was pretty yellow. It's sitting overnight after the borax add.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Iron, calcium and high alkalinity, all in the same water!

Ok. How expensive is it for you to refill?

You'll need polyquat, HEDP, and muriatic acid to start. Having the Unicels would make it easier.

You may want to start a http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?16992 -- lime softening bucket test.

It's possible to clean up the pool with polyquat, HEDP and Culator. But it *may* work using lime softening, and if it does, it will be both faster and cheaper.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

When you are testing your fill water, there is no need to run the CYA test. Tap water nor well water either one have any CYA in them.

Missed that; thanks Watermom!

I have a frankenpool! It costs about $250 for a water delivery. Interested in the lime softening idea--I'll look into what I need to do for the lime softening bucket test. I started the bucket test on the fill water already.

Ok, I have the Unicel filters, polyquat and muriatic acid. I'd like to buy HEDP locally. What are the common brands? I also bought a filter/pump vacuum and a skimmer, which is in transit. Pool Doc, would you like me to do a lime softening bucket test before we move forward?

+ Reply to Thread