Thread: Can I Use Salt As Sanitizer Instead of Chlorine?

Threaded View

Default Re: Salt-only solutions? (not for chlorine generation)

Catfish, I understand your request for information, however, I want you to take a step back and consider the following.

I honestly believe Ben, the Administrator, is trying to help you with your research by sharing information regarding the safety and sanitation of your pool project. If you really want to look at the big picture, it is not only about “wiping my butt before I go for a swim” or making sure everyone visits the bathroom before diving in. It is about pool sanitation with regards to not only human wastes, but animal wastes (dogs, cats, birds flying overhead etc.) and insects too. I clean flies, bees, grasshoppers, etc. out of my skimmer constantly, and who knows what they bring to the pool. I believe Chem-Geeek has provided enough information to prove that Salt alone, in most cases, is not a sanitizer in swimming pools.

This Forum is comprised of a lot of good people that get nothing more than the satisfaction of helping people across the US and Canada with their swimming pool problems. We get a full array of people seeking help and information, everything from rich people with huge swimming pools to single Moms with small above ground pools. Our charter is to provide sound advice, to the best of our ability, for the safety and affordability to all. We would be remiss if we didn’t advise you (or anyone else) of what we have learned or what has been proven.

Unfortunately, a website like this also attracts a boat load of spammers as well as “Know-it-alls” that are mostly mouth and very little ear. If you choose to continue to visit this Forum, you will learn that there is no corporate sponsor or commercial enterprise subsidizing this Forum. In reality, we primarily promote the BBB method which fundamentally promotes pool care with grocery store items that basically undermines the profits of all of the Big Pool Chemical Companies as well as a slew of Pool Supply Stores. Pool cleanliness and sanitation is paramount with the BBB method, simply put, if it didn’t work, what good is it? The BBB method has withstood the test of time because it works.

We have seen the gamut of “Trouble Free” and “All Natural” claims, and virtually all fall short. There is no Known “Free Lunch” when it comes to swimming pools and their care, including performing simple tests. If there was a secret or magic pill with regards to swimming pool setups, I’m sure the people on this Forum would know about it, and in all probability you’d read about it first, right here.

In the end, it is your project and idea. Your safety and health, and that of your family, friends, and guests, that would potentially swim in your pool is in your hands.
    Last edited by BigTallGuy; 07-10-2012 at 01:30 PM.
    If you can afford a swimming pool and computer, you can probably afford to help keep the PoolForum alive. Please be a responsible member and subscribe today. You'll probably save more than the membership fee on your first trip to the pool store. BTG