+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Algae!!!!

Default Algae!!!!

We have been using the BBB method ever since I found this forum and it worked the 1st time when our pool was overrun with yukky green. last year we had very very hot weather, (triple digits almost all summer) and the algae got out of control again, we had to replace several parts on the pool which kept us from running the filter system until all the parts came in and were installed.

During this time the algae got worse and worse, we left the pool over last winter figuring to get a good start this year with the BBB again but found out the filter needed new laterals after some broke during a sand change, then after those parts came in we realized the multiport valve was bad and had to order another one of those, we have been battling the algae ever since, gallons of bleach, boxes of Borax and baking soda later we finally emptied the pool and scrubbed it down, filled it back up and found it full of algea again within 1 day!!

I finally broke down and ordered the Taylor K-2006C test kit hoping the forum could help us get our pool back before I take an ax to it!!!

Here are the results we got , (this is a wonderful kit but at the moment I feel overwhelmed and may not be doing it right) PH 8+ Alkalinity 40PPM CYA <30 PPM calcium 50PPM.

Even with these figures we don't know the 1st place to start, please help!!!

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Algae!!!!

Hi Deb,

With your numbers the way they are, you don't need any Borax, because your pH is already high. The alk could come up a bit, but that's not a big deal for now. What you need is chlorine in the pool, and lots of it!!

You have a couple of choices--you can go with bleach for chlorine, but after you get the pool cleared up you'll need to add some stabilizer separately; or you can use dichlor, which is a powdered chlorine that will drive your pH down and will also add your stabilizer. Many forms of dichlor have "mystery goop" in them, so we try to avoid those, but if you have a Sam's available, the PoolBrand dichlor they have is okay to use. Alternately, the KemTek dichlor from Amazon will work, too. Take a few seconds to fill out this form about your pool's info, so we don't waste a lot of time with back-and-forth posts to get the basic info we need, and we'l be happy to help you go from there!

Pool Chart Entry Form
    Pool Chart Results
    Janet

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

1. Turn your pump on, and keep it on. If you have a 2 speed, run on low.

2. Read the muriatic acid page, linked in Janet's signature above.

3. Lower the pH to 7.6 or below.

4. Add bleach each EVENING to reach 15 - 20 ppm FC. Your PF is 11, so each gallon of PLAIN 6% bleach adds about 6 ppm of chlorine to your pool. Your evening dose is 3 gallons.

5. Continue doing so till the algae turns gray or blue (but cloudy)

6. Let us know what's going on.
    Last edited by Watermom; 07-06-2012 at 03:14 PM. Reason: de-sig

Quote Originally Posted by aylad View Post
    Take a few seconds to fill out this form about your pool's info, so we don't waste a lot of time with back-and-forth posts to get the basic info we need, and we'l be happy to help you go from there!
    Thanks for the reply, I did fill out the form last night prior to posting. I hesitate to add anything other than the BBB to the pool because of the damage to the pool and our skin.

that 1st year we used the BBB it cleared up the algae right away and everyone noticed a change in their skin being soft and smooth in stead of dry and itchy but due to the delay in treatment this time it was so out of control that we could not keep ahead of it.

We have the pump running low and will leave it on 24/7, we bought several gallons of bleach at Walmart for $1 each and have stocked up so we can add the 3 gallons at night,(I tried to tell hubby any treatment has to be done at night or the sun will just delete it, I think that was half the problem but he wont listen to me) we did the muriatic acid last night (another mistake we made not adding it when we added water to the pool or when it rained).

My husband now understands that living in Texas like we do we have to add water a lot and recently we have actually had rain that hit the ground so we need to use the muriatic acid more often.

We will do what you said and get back to you and let you know.

Thanks for this forum, you sure are life savers, I need my pool for physical therapy and I sure miss having the convenience of going to my backyard to do that as I have to use a public pool and who knows what germs we are getting on us there!!!

sabres07 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst sabres07 0

I am a new user this spring of this forum, and I had the same problem when I opened my pool this year. I thought I was putting in enough chlorine to shock the pool but was having no luck.

Then I found this site and followed the advice given TO THE LETTER (including buying the Taylor 2006c Test Kit) and my pool is now crystal clear. It works, it really does, but you first need to raise your FC levels to the numbers in the "best guess chart", and HOLD THEM THERE, NO MATTER WHAT IT TAKES! It's really as simple as that. Once your CC number is 0-0.5 ppm, you can let the chlorine drift down to normal letters. That is all there is to it, as far as clearing up the algae. Once that is done, you can work on those other levels ie: pH, Calcium hardness, etc etc.
    16'x32' oval 15K gal IG vinyl pool; liquid chlorine; Hayward cartridge filter; Hayward 3/4 hp pump; 3/5/2012hrs; Taylor 2006c; utility water; summer: none; winter: vinyl / water bags; ; PF:8

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by DEBKNTX View Post
    we bought several gallons of bleach at Walmart for $1 each and have stocked up
    Look on the ingredient label. Does it say 6% sodium hypochlorite or some other concentration? I've never seen 6% bleach that cheap at Walmart.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

It's even cheaper in Chattanooga -- must be the cost of hauling that bleach up into those powerless and steep W. Virginia mountains. (The drivers may get hazard pay due to all the snakes!)

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

This week I don't care if they bring cheap bleach up my steep WV mountain or not if they will just BRING THE UTILITY TRUCKS UP MY HILL AND GET MY ELECTRIC RESTORED!!!

Day 7 with no power and for the most part, no ice ......... but who's counting!

My parents had their power restored last night so we are hanging out at their house today using the internet and sucking up as much air conditioning as we can in preparation for going back home tonight to my house that is about 95 degrees inside. Outside temps are around 100. Been spending lots of time in my pool. Though dirty (since I have no power to run the pump and vacuum), the water is clean and clear and a place to get some relief from the heat. I just keeping dumping in a jug of bleach each evening. No green pool at my house! And, Mr. Ben, no snakes, either!

Actually it's 2.75%, will tht make a difference in how much to use? WE have put in 3 gallons a night and in 4 days have not seen an increase in the chlorine level.

+ Reply to Thread