+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New member

Default Re: New member

Thank you! You are all so helpful

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

You are very welcome!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Disposing of them might be tricky. Lemme ask some questions:

1. Are you going to leave the pool up for winter, or take it down?
    2. Are you on a sewer or a septic tank?
    3. Do you have any sidewalks or concrete or roofing that has algae you'd like to remove?

1) take it down (we are routinely below 32degrees, even gets as cold at -17 here, and not sure that's a good idea to leave an Intex pool up in those conditions)

2) city sewer (and a storm drain on the property - we were told last year it was safe to empty our pool into the storm drain as long as we let the chlorine drop to 0 before hand)

3) nope, sure don't. have a brother in law with a big algae problem on his waterfall/koi pond, but I dont' think pool chemicals are safe for those expensive fish! lol)

thanks!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

OK.

1. Keep the sodium bisulfate to use in your pool.

2. I can't tell you what to do with the algaecide. What *I* would do, if I was on a city sewer, and had that stuff, is flush it down the toilet a cup at a time. But, it might be illegal for me to tell you to do that, so I can't suggest that for you.

3. Tabs are harder. If no one in your household has blonde or gray hair, I would use them up, slowly, along with other forms of chlorine. Do NOT put them in the garbage. Trichlor can make big bangs, when mixed with various forms of garbage.

Had a friend give us their pool "left overs" extra pumps, tubing and such... plus a couple of bottles of chemicals:

* Leslie's Ultra Bright (from what I've read I probably don't need this one either)
    * Aqua Chem Filter Cleaner (bottle doesn't list ingredients, this is what I could find online: )
    Dipropylene glycol monomethyl ether 6%
    Sodium Hydroxide 8%
    nonylphenol ethoxylated phosphate ether 4%
    Benzensulfonic acid, dodecyl(sulfophenoxy), diammonium salt (DDBSA) %
    would love to know if this filter cleaner is safe to use on my cartridge filters (right now I just have the Intex ones)

Thanks!!

Thanks!

Seeing as how 6 out of 7 of us are blondes, I'll probably not put them in the pool Perhaps I'll just post them on the freecycle group and pass them along to someone who might be able to use them.

After a month of beautiful water and LOTS of swimming... we have something going wrong

We were only loosing chlorine during the day... starting most days between 3-5ppm, but by the end of the day we were between 1-2ppm (figured high bather load and sunlight loss - pool gets used 2-6 hours most days). I would add enough bleach to get back to 4 or 5 ppm and it would be between 3-4ppm each morning. Last week the pool started to get a little cloudy and we appeared to have a lot of dirt/dust in the pool. Hooked up the vacuum to the filter intake and cleaned the bottom of the pool (turned the filter cartridge brown). Replaced the cartridge and cleaned the dirty one. A couple of days ago the pool developed a greenish hue, clear water on top, and slightly cloudier at the bottom. I have been adding bleach 2-3 times a day to keep the OTO test kit (HTH 5 way) in the orange range. (Sorry, no Taylor kit just yet). It has not dropped below 5ppm in the last 3 days. 20 minutes after adding the bleach, I brush the walls/floor/skimmer/return etc. (ladder has been removed). It always stirs up what looks like brown dust on the bottom. Some gets caught in the filter cartridge, some must be blowing right on through and back into the pool. (Intex Type A cartridges - Unicel's are due to arrive from Amazon tomorrow).

We have had highs of 110+ for quite awhile, so the water temp has been in the high 80's / low 90's.

Chlorine orange on OTO test kit
    PH was 7.8 before bringing the pool to shock levels (I understand that the PH test is not reliable when chlorine levels are very high? but it shows as 7.8 now too)
    CYA was 30-40ppm before letting the final 3/4 cup dissolve.
    TA is about 150

I'm wondering if I'm fighting mustard algae, or if it's just pollen/dirt/dust etc. I'm hoping that the Unicel cartridges will make a big difference. The water definitely has less of a "green/tan hue" today than it did yesterday (although, on grey overcast rainy days it seems enhances the "green" look - even the sky looks green around here before thunderstorms, especially those with hail).

I have some pictures here:

water color

residual "dust" left on ladder steps after removing from pool and allowing to air dry

pockets of "dust" on bottom

Thanks for any advice you can give!
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 08-08-2012 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Picasa
    16' round 5K gal Intex AG vinyl pool; 8.25% bleach; Unicel & Filbur cartridges; Intex Krystal 635T pump; 8hrs; Taylor K2006; utility & well water; summer: none; winter: take down; android phone; PF:24

Looks like algae residue to me.

+ Hold the chlorine in the very dark yellow / orange range for 2 more days.
    + Run your filter 24/7
    + Brush the pool completely

Let us know how it's doing after a couple of day. (Read the cartridge cleaning sticky, here:
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?18044

Will do... thanks!!!
    16' round 5K gal Intex AG vinyl pool; 8.25% bleach; Unicel & Filbur cartridges; Intex Krystal 635T pump; 8hrs; Taylor K2006; utility & well water; summer: none; winter: take down; android phone; PF:24

+ Reply to Thread