+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Caltreat for lowering calcium hardness in pools

Default Caltreat for lowering calcium hardness in pools

Has anyone heard of this product or used it to reduce calcium levels? Saw it online but not really sure if it works or we are throwing money away.
    Last edited by Orca; 08-19-2013 at 04:45 PM. Reason: clarify title

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Caltreat

Are there other ways of eliminating/ significantly decreasing high calcium and hardness levels if you do not have the ability to vacuum to waste? Or are there companies you can bring in to vacuum to waste? We have been using Sustain for >10 years. Our pool is now cloudy, and the only measurement out of whack is the hardness/calcium. My husband already did 1 water exchange- drained most of the pool and refilled, but it is still high.
    We are also considering changes chemicals. What chemicals work without adding calcium/hardness?
    We have a vinyl pool/ Hayward filter (not allowed to use sand in our area), 22000 gal inground pool.
    Is salt system better?

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

There are lots of choices for you that don't include calcium. However, we really need a little more info to accurately answer your questions. Can you post a complete set of water tests for us to see? Preferably drop- based results-- strips don't count!!

Total chlorine 2.8
    free chlorine 2.4
    pH 7.6
    Total alkalinity 90
    Calcium Hardness 475
    Stabilizer 30
    Water appearance cloudy

We added 10 lbs of alka plus to raise alkalinity, which then looked OK by strip testing.
    These numbers are after the drain/refill.
    Cleaning filter on daily basis (filter is new). Get lots of white/ cloudy stuff/ milky coming off of filter when hosed down.
    This has been with pump on 24/7 for about 1 1/2 -2 weeks, and still can barely see the drain on the bottom.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Linda needs help View Post
    Total alkalinity 90
    Calcium Hardness 475

We added 10 lbs of alka plus to raise alkalinity, which then looked OK by strip testing.
    Who in the world told you to add 10# of baking soda, with a calcium level of 475?? They did you no favors. Were you having scale or cloudiness problems with the pool before you drained & replaced, or did the same pool store tell "YOU HAVE TO DRAIN, OR THE SKY WILL FALL!"?

Anyhow, do all these things:

1. Add 4 gallons of PLAIN 6% household bleach, and then turn off your pump. Wait 24 hours and see if the stuff will settle.

2. If you don't have one, order a K2006 so you can test for yourself. Read the kit instructions, but IGNORE their water treatment guidelines!

3. Post your pool data again, but include what test kit you are using AND your EXACT pump and filter info (you're probably going to need a new cartridge!).

4. If at all possible, take some pictures of your pump, filter, and piping . . . and then mail them to poolforum@gmail.com. You may be able to vac-to-waste more easily than you think.

Regarding Cal Treat, United Chemical has NOT made an MSDS sheet available. Historically, that company has used both phosphates and oxalic acid in their products. Both can be used to precipitate calcium, but oxalic acid is toxic so I think they would have to make an MSDS sheet available. Consequently, I assume that Cal Treat is phosphate based. UC's products tend to work, but it's been my impression that they mostly are a devil's bargain: you get what you want, now, but you pay a price, later. Phosphate precipitation could work that way, helping you remove calcium at the price of a phosphate laden pool that is VERY algae friendly.

However, the calcium carbonate cloud you've got right now can also be filtered . . . . if you have a filter in good condition. Ironically, using Sustain to chlorinate would help get filter out out.

But, gimme the data, and I'll give you some more info, once I see what is likely to work on your pool.

We will add the bleach now and get back to you after we recheck the numbers.
    We have figured out how to vacuum to waste. Do you still need the pictures of the pump/filter/piping?

(the pool stores told us to add the baking soda and a second store told us to drain the water)

We are currently using an Aquacheck meter in addition to strips to check the pool chemistries. Is this good enough or do we need to get the K2006 test kit (AquaChek® TruTest® Digital Test Strip Reader)- it gives actual numbers.

We are currently using Sustain and know that it produces calcium as a byproduct. The pool stores are telling us to add scale inhibitor to control the calcium levels. This does nothing for the hardness. When the last heater died- the heat exchanger was caked with calcium (this was both of our heaters). No water could get through. This is why we are looking to move away from Sustain once we get the calcium under control. We believe all of our lines are probably coated with calcium.
    We do not use a solar cover. We use the heater a fair amount, but have been reluctant to turn it on until the calcium is controlled. We probably use the heater on a more frequent basis than most, since we are in a cooler climate and don't use a cover because of pool shape, and difficulty putting it on easily.
    What chemical should we use for chlorination, once we fix the current problem that will not produce calcium so that we do not destroy yet another heater?

Thanks for the feedback.
    Will get back to you with numbers.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Most of us use plain, unscented, generic bleach for chlorination. It only adds chlorine and a little bit of salt water to the pool, as opposed to the other forms of chlorine that all add something different (dichlor and trichlor drive pH down, add C YA, cal-hypo adds calcium, etc). Some states sell carboys of liquid chlorine, which is the same thing as bleach, only in twice the strength but much cheaper.

Janet

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Linda needs help View Post
    We will add the bleach now and get back to you after we recheck the numbers.
    We have figured out how to vacuum to waste. Do you still need the pictures of the pump/filter/piping?
    Don't need them; would be glad to have them for the photo library (something I'd like to have here, eventually)

the pool stores told us to add the baking soda and a second store told us to drain the water
    Why am I not surprised?

We are currently using an Aquacheck meter in addition to strips to check the pool chemistries. Is this good enough or do we need to get the K2006 test kit (AquaChek® TruTest® Digital Test Strip Reader)- it gives actual numbers.
    Yeah, it does. Unfortunately, they are partly RANDOM numbers! In most cases, if you collect ONE sample of water, and then test it 3 times, with 15 minutes or so in between, you'll get 3 different results! Actually, if you do this, I'd love to have the results! If you want to play completely fair, collect a sample in a water bottle or container you can close; refrigerate it, then test it every 2 hours.

But . . . yes, you need the K-2006.

We are currently using Sustain and know that it produces calcium as a byproduct. The pool stores are telling us to add scale inhibitor to control the calcium levels. This does nothing for the hardness. When the last heater died- the heat exchanger was caked with calcium (this was both of our heaters). No water could get through. This is why we are looking to move away from Sustain once we get the calcium under control. We believe all of our lines are probably coated with calcium.
    How were you adding the Sustain? If you added it via the skimmer, AND had a sand filter, AND didn't lower you pH, your pH, TA and CH would have all reached a maximum level, and stayed there. I ran a commercial pool for 3 years with cal hypo . . . and had ZERO scale build up. I also used virtually NO other chemicals. I think I may have added a gallon of muriatic acid once, but that was the ONLY other chemical used for the entire period.

What chemical should we use for chlorination, once we fix the current problem that will not produce calcium so that we do not destroy yet another heater?
    Bleach is easiest, at least conceptually. But the cal hypo is very easy, too . . . but you have to stay the heck away from the pool store, and you can't listen to their ideas about how it should be run (or the ideas on the Sustain label, for that matter.) That's hard for most people to do, so bleach is easier.

Thanks so much for the help so far! The pool is finally clear- it has not been this clear in years! Couldn't believe how much precipitate came out of the water.
    Just got the test kit in and tested the pool.
    Did the test:

pH 8; Calcium 340ppm; alkalinity 130 ppm; Chlorine, free 1.0 Chlorine 2.0ppm; CYA 25 ppm?

Will stick with bleach for now.

Do we need to add a stabilizer for the chlorine? If so,what type?
    1. How often, and how much bleach should be added?
    2. How often should we test the water?
    3. What do you recommend for raising/lowering pH and alkalinity?
    4. How do i attach pictures for you- I have the pictures downloaded, but do not see how to attach.

Edited by Watermom to number your questions to make it easier to answer them.
    Last edited by Watermom; 07-07-2012 at 11:42 AM.

+ Reply to Thread