+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to this forum and the pool world...help with a question please

Default New to this forum and the pool world...help with a question please

We just recently set up a pool for the kids. Got the pump running put a puck in and now the water turned a yellow tint. Why did this happen? Everything is testing bang on my strips. Any advice would be appriciated- I know nothing about pool care..thanks in advance

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: New to this forum and the pool world...help with a question please

Hi, and welcome to the forum!!

"Everything is testing bang on my strips" is part of the problem....strips are not very accurate. They are good for testing whether there 'is" or "is not" chlorine in the pool, for example, but are not reliable for saying "how much". Do yourself a favor and get a drop-based test kit. It will save you tons of money and headaches in the long run. The one we recommend is the K-2006--check out the teskits link in my sig. We need to see numbers posted for your water parameters to be able to help you much.

What is your source of fill water? If it's a well, odds are pretty good you have a metals issue. If that's the case, the water discoloration you are seeing isn't dangerous, even though it's not pretty. If metals are the issue (and you can get them tested for at your local pool store, or if it's municipal water, call your water dept for an analysis), then you need to read through this sticky for info on what to do from here (until your registration is complete, you may have to log out to read it)
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...est-for-metals
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...water!&p=95155

Hope this helps!!
    Janet

Hi Janet,
    Thanks for replying and the great advice. Yes I was using the strips I will look into the test kit you mentioned. We are using well water. Is there anyway to remove the discoloration? It looks terrible. We are supposed to have a Canada Day party next weekend and I'm in a bit of a panic!! Do you think it's too much iron? Our neighbor through out the suggestion. The links you provided say I don't have access to it do you know why? Thanks

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

My guess is that this might be an Intex pool? If I'm wrong, please correct me. Please fill in your pool's information in the pool chart:
    Pool Chart Entry Form
    Pool Chart Results
    The reason you can't access the links is that your registration is not yet completed and until that time, you can't see the rest of the forum while you are logged in. (That inconvenience goes away once it is completed, however.) In the meantime, to be able to see the links Janet was referring you to, you'll need to log out. then, go to the "minerals" section of the forum and read the thread called "Bucket Test for Metals." The other link she wanted you to read is in the "Pool Chemistry for Intex-Type Pools" and the thread is at the top of that section and is called "Before you fill your intex-type pool with well water."

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by andrea View Post
    We are using well water. Is there anyway to remove the discoloration? . . . . We are supposed to have a Canada Day party next weekend and I'm in a bit of a panic!!
    It sounds like you have iron staining; it might be possible to clean it it up by then. But the process is time consuming, and I doubt you can use the Amazon links for the chemicals you need. Your best bet is to see if you can find some polyquat (info here) and HEDP -- you may be able to find the brands shown in some of the pages Janet (aylad) linked for you.

FIRST, drop some vitamin C tablets on some of the stained areas -- if they clear up, then it's probably iron, and the process below will likely help.

If you can find both polyquat and HEDP, doing all of these things *may* clear up the water in time for your party:
    1. Let your chlorine levels drop to 0.5 - 2 ppm
    2. Add the HEDP
    3. Lower your pH to ~7.0
    4. Run your filter 24/7
    5. Add polyquat as your chlorine drops, to prevent algae, and help filter out any metal particles.

Thanks for the great info...will def try these suggestions. We have been running the filter 24/7 and it has cleared most of it up by itself....still not perfect though

+ Reply to Thread