+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about shock and chlorine

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Question about shock and chlorine

Hey, I just said that!! (or most of it, anyway )

My post button is just working faster than Watermom's tonight

Janet

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by aylad View Post
    Hey, I just said that!! (or most of it, anyway )

My post button is just working faster than Watermom's tonight

Janet
    Or --- else I am turning into a parrot!! Gee -- I sure hope not! Nah, your post button is just faster tonight.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Rofl....

Default Question about shock and chlorine

This is a continuation of a thread of the same title I started over in the Getting Started forum. I can no longer post there, presumably since I'm no longer a trial member. Apologies in advance if this is not the preferred way of handling the situation.

Anyway, Watermom and aylad (who have been awesome) asked me to post some more information. I didn't get it done yesterday due to a summer thunderstorm that kept us all inside for the day. But now I have test results (hth 6-way test kit) on my fill water:
    Alkalinity: 290 ppm
    Hardness: 300 ppm

Numbers from my pool, tested a few minutes ago:
    Chlorine: 3
    pH: 8.2

Just to recap, here are the test numbers from Tuesday (06-19-2012):
    Chlorine 2
    pH 7.8
    Alkalinity 260 ppm
    Hardness 310 ppm
    CYA <30 ppm (ran out of room in the test vial before the black dot disappeared)

I've done nothing to the pool since Tuesday other than add 1/3 lb of shock (58.2% dichlor and 41.8% Other Ingredients), which I did Tuesday night. Hope that didn't screw up our troubleshooting but it had been a week since I shocked it and I let my worries get the better of me.

aylad mentioned my chlorine tabs RE: the high Hardness reading. It's been over a week since I put any in but the ones I have are 99% Trichloro-s-triazinetrione / 1% Other Ingredients. aylad also suggested tackling my high pH and Alkalinity using muriatic acid, which I can do next. Having said that, I'm going to hold off until I hear back from one of you now that I've posted more test results.

Finally, aylad suggested checking my Chlorine in the early morning to see if I am losing any overnight. I will do that first thing tomorrow and post the results.

I have ordered the Taylor K-2006A and expect to have it in a few days. After that, I can other tests as needed.

My daughter is mostly recovered from her rash but my wife has (not unreasonably) vetoed any further swimming until I figure out what happened. She also was talking to someone who suggested dropping chlorine and using bromine. I don't know much about that but what little I've read makes me not want to do it. Plus, it would mean that the chlorine problem defeated me. :-)

You folks are awesome. Thanks again for your help.

Donovan

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Go ahead and work on lowering the pH and alk as suggested in the previous posts. Using dichlor or trichlor are both good choices for you right now as it will do two things you need to do: add CYA and lower pH. Once your CYA gets to 50 or so, you'll want to stop using either and switch to bleach. (Don't test CYA too often so you won't run out of testing reagent.) I also would suggest NOT using cal-hypo at any point since your calcium hardness reading is so high.

Go ahead and post your overnight test results and we'll have a look.

(By the way, your new post was combined into your old thread so we can keep all your info in one place.)

Thanks for moving the post. I tested again this morning and chlorine is at 2, down from last night's reading of 3. pH is 8.2 and I added 3/4 cup of AquaChem pH Down. I'm off work today and will test pH again in a few hours.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

I just noticed that your Alkalinity is pretty high.
    Is this also true of your fill water?
    Is this the same water your daughter (with the rash) bathes in?

I ask because I have read, and I don't know that it's true, that high Alkalinity can cause skin irritation.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by donovan.lambright View Post
    The third (six-year old) woke up the next morning with tiny red bumps all over. Very itchy. I remember her being more sensitive last year, too, so I can't say I'm that surprised. We're treating her with various lotions and baking soda in the bathtub but swimming is out of the question for awhile. Which leaves me with a question. Is this the "pool rash" I hear so much about? And, if so, what causes it?
    Caution! These links include medical nudity. (They are also gross, Watermom!)

http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swim...-tub-rash.html
    http://dermdiaries.com/wp-content/up...d-1024x590.jpg
    http://hardinmd.lib.uiowa.edu/folliculitishottub.html
    http://www.medbc.com/annals/review/v...vol9n4p204.htm

It sounds like your daughter may NOT have folliculitis; the incubation period is longer than than that. However, chlorine is NOT an allergen.

Period. End of story.

We dealt with this at great length, earlier this year. What finally put it to bed was discovering that dermatologists still routinely use an old treatment, "bleach baths" with 50 - 100 ppm of chlorine, to treat a wide variety of skin conditions!

Unfortunately, the hodge podge voodoo blended shocks, like the one you have (see below) DO sometimes contain chemicals that are known allergens and irritants.

Also, though sodium bromide -- and bromine generated from sodium bromide -- is not an allergen so far as we know, bromine in solid form is bound to DHM -- dimethyl hydantoin -- which can be a SEVERE irritant.

About the shock. The package doesn't list any other ingredients other than the dichlor. It just says 58.2% dichlor and 41.8% Other Ingredients. :-)
    That means, 42% potential problems!

Give that stuff away. Or flush it down the toilet, a little at a time, but ONLY if you are on sewers. Do NOT dump a bunch in septic tank.

. It's been over a week since I put any in but the ones I have are 99% Trichloro-s-triazinetrione / 1% Other Ingredients.

My daughter is mostly recovered from her rash but my wife has (not unreasonably) vetoed any further swimming until I figure out what happened. She also was talking to someone who suggested dropping chlorine and using bromine. I don't know much about that but what little I've read makes me not want to do it. Plus, it would mean that the chlorine problem defeated me.
    The tabs are fine.

I looked at your chart -- 4,000 gallons doesn't cost that much. If it's not a big deal for you, drain and refill it. But NOT till you are ready to follow a plan. Read the Intex recipe in this section of the forum, and be ready to follow it BEFORE you drain and refill.

As promised, I have checked the pool again.
    Chlorine: 1
    pH: 7.5

My understanding is that these are both in the acceptable range. I will refrain from using any more of trichlor shock.

Clarification question for PoolDoc: Are you suggesting that I need to drain and restart now or only if I decided to use bromine instead of chlorine?

Looking at those pictures, there are some differences between them and what my daughter had. The bumps were smaller, there were a lot more of them, and they were much more densely packed together. So I'm not sure what to think.

BigDave: Yes the alkalinity in my fill water was pretty close to that in the pool. And it is the same water she bathes in.

Unless PoolDoc tells me I need to drain and refill, my next move seems to be adding a few chlorine tabs to keep the chlorine from dropping any further and tackling the alkalinity issue based on the information aylad posted. Or should I just start using bleach as outlined in PoolDoc's Recipe?

Thanks again for all the help.

+ Reply to Thread