+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A few questions for a new Intex 16 X 48 pool

Default Re: A few questions for a new Intex 16 X 48 pool

Thanks for the clarification on the bleach thing just always been told bleach is bad don't let it touch your skin! Then using it in your pool seems kind of strange. I got the 6 way test kit today and here's the results:

Chlorine - 5
    PH - 7.5
    Alk - 120
    Hard - nil
    CYA - >30

The hardness and CYA tests didn't seem like they worked or I don't have any in my pool because the kit says when adding the 5 hardness drops the water should turn red if present and it turns a very light yellow color so I'm guessing thats a good thing? The CYA test your supposed to mix 7 ml of pool water and 7 ml of the CYA acid reagent for 30 seconds then transfer to a tube with a black dot on the bottom. It says the solution is supposed to get cloudy, but mine stayed clear so I could see the dot even after I filled the tube to the top. I got a 6 pack of the shock and swim and from the readings it looks like it's doing the trick. Should I dilute it in a bucket of water before I add it? I'm seeing some sandy looking stuff on the bottom of the pool and I'm not sure if it's extra added stuff in the shock collecting on the bottom (not really a lot just that I saw it and thought I'd mention it) We did have a full day of rain so maybe it's just pollen from the trees. Another question the cover is a real PIA to get off without dumping everything on top into the pool any tricks to doing this? Thanks again for all the help. I couldn't find the stabilizer at Walmart, but I'm guessing thats something to use if my chlorine keeps jumping down and up right? I'm going to run the filter for a minimum of 6 hours everyday probably more once we start swimming in it (maybe this weekend?)

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

If your CYA sample didn't turn cloudy, then you have little or no CYA in the water. If you have only used cal-hypo, then you haven't added any CYA yet. You'll need some, about 40-50 ppm. Not only if your chlorine "keeps jumping up and down." All outdoor pools have to have some or you won't be able to keep chlorine in the pool especially on hot sunny days. You can either buy some and add it directly or use a stabilized form of chlorine for awhile that will add CYA and chlorine at the same time. The choice is yours. Both ways are just fine. If you decide to add it separately, it may be labeled as conditioner or stabilizer. Check the label; the ingredients should say cyanuric or isocyanuric acid. You'll need 2 lbs. You can put it in an old sock and hang it in front of a return jet and give it a squeeze once in awhile to help it dissolve faster. Remove the sock from in front of the jet when you add other chemicals through the skimmer, however.

If you decide to use a stabilized form of chlorine instead, you can either buy dichlor shock powder or trichlor pucks. I'd suggest the dichlor, though, as it will get the CYA in there faster. If you have access to a Sam's Club, you can buy their 24lb pack of 1# bags of 100% dichlor shock. Each bag will add about 7 ppm of chlorine, and about 6 ppm of stabilizer, per 10K gallons of water. (You won't need all the bags this year, but you can save it til next year.) Otherwise, order dichlor from Amazon:
    Kem-Tek Dichlor 22 lbs
    We do NOT recommend buying dichlor locally, otherwise, at least until you are an EXPERT reader of chemical labels. The chlorinating pool chemicals sold at Walmart, Kmart, Costco, and most other local stores are diluted blends, sometimes with copper and other products with bad side-effects.

(After your CYA gets to around 50, you'll want to quit using dichlor and switch to bleach so your CYA doesn't get too high.)

Don't worry about the hardness test for now. But, if you decide to continue using the cal-hypo instead of using dichlor, you'll want to monitor it to make sure it doesn't get too high which can cause cloudy water problems.

So the only question i have is can i swim in it safely before i get the cya in? The kid is all over me about it. Thanks again for all the help.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

If the pH is between 7 & 8, and the chlorine is between 1 - 5, they can swim.

Chlorine levels can go up, as the CYA level goes up. See the Best Guess link in my signature.

Thats why I was worried about using the Kem - Tek Dichlor Watermom suggested because I don't see my chlorine level going down it seem sto be holding steady. Granted the pool hasn't been used or even uncovered for a full day so we'll see after this weekend's use (hopefully depending on weather) and see what my levels are at. I was able to get the vacuum that intex gives you working with my hose and it worked surprisingly well! I just need a longer garden hose or an extension. Thanks again for all the help and advice I hope to some day be able to help others out like you've all helped me.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Hope you enjoy swimming. I just spent the last hour in my pool with my youngest son. That's what its all about!

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    If your CYA sample didn't turn cloudy, then you have little or no CYA in the water. If you have only used cal-hypo, then you haven't added any CYA yet. You'll need some, about 40-50 ppm. Not only if your chlorine "keeps jumping up and down." All outdoor pools have to have some or you won't be able to keep chlorine in the pool especially on hot sunny days. You can either buy some and add it directly or use a stabilized form of chlorine for awhile that will add CYA and chlorine at the same time. The choice is yours. Both ways are just fine. If you decide to add it separately, it may be labeled as conditioner or stabilizer. Check the label; the ingredients should say cyanuric or isocyanuric acid. You'll need 2 lbs. You can put it in an old sock and hang it in front of a return jet and give it a squeeze once in awhile to help it dissolve faster. Remove the sock from in front of the jet when you add other chemicals through the skimmer, however.

If you decide to use a stabilized form of chlorine instead, you can either buy dichlor shock powder or trichlor pucks. I'd suggest the dichlor, though, as it will get the CYA in there faster. If you have access to a Sam's Club, you can buy their 24lb pack of 1# bags of 100% dichlor shock. Each bag will add about 7 ppm of chlorine, and about 6 ppm of stabilizer, per 10K gallons of water. (You won't need all the bags this year, but you can save it til next year.) Otherwise, order dichlor from Amazon:
    Kem-Tek Dichlor 22 lbs
    We do NOT recommend buying dichlor locally, otherwise, at least until you are an EXPERT reader of chemical labels. The chlorinating pool chemicals sold at Walmart, Kmart, Costco, and most other local stores are diluted blends, sometimes with copper and other products with bad side-effects.

(After your CYA gets to around 50, you'll want to quit using dichlor and switch to bleach so your CYA doesn't get too high.)

Don't worry about the hardness test for now. But, if you decide to continue using the cal-hypo instead of using dichlor, you'll want to monitor it to make sure it doesn't get too high which can cause cloudy water problems.
    So I had no luck finding conditioner or stabilizer at any stores around me (walmart, lowes, etc.) So I'm going to go with the kem-tek tablets and the floating dispenser from Amazon.

Keep an eye on your CYA level. When it gets to about 50, you'll want to discontinue any form of stabilized chlorine and just go to using bleach at that point.

How soon after I use bleach can I swim in the pool? Should I let it go overnight or just a couple of hours?

When you add just the daily maintenance dose of bleach you can swim within 15 minutes or fewer.

The big box stores don't normally sell 100% cyanuric acid (stabilizer). You can get that at the pool store, usually comes in a 4 pound bucket.
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

+ Reply to Thread