+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HELP, cloudy blue pool water

Default HELP, cloudy blue pool water

I am a newbie. I have searched the forum but have nothing for this issue. I live in Florida. We had solar panels put on in February. Everything was fine for about 2 weeks until I noticed that the chlorine tablets had not dissolved. They usually only last about 1 1/2 weeks. I shock once a week and clean the filter and put chlorine in every 2 weeks. Everything seemed okay. We call the solar guys, they said a valve was broke, they replaced it. 2 more weeks go by doing the same thing and the same issue. We call again, they said the chlorinator was not working and replaced it. All of the sudden the pool is green. Call again, they came out and said there was a block in the tubing. Now, 2 weeks later I am fighting this algae everyday. It has stained the bottom of the pool (which is not even a year old). The pool will not hold chlorine. The pool guy told me use Yellow out and some type of super power chlorine granules. This got most of the stains out but not all. I am now having to vacuum the pool everyday, shock everyday (with at least 2 bags of shock) and now the water is blue and cloudy. The chlorine tablets are still not dissolving. I mashed them into smaller pieces hoping this will help. The pool guy has no idea. HELP?????

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: HELP, cloudy blue pool water

The first thing we need is a set Of test results taken with drop- based testing, especially a CYA level. That one is critical because it will determine how high your chlorine needs to be to clear up the pool. Once we know that, we can tell you how high to sustain the chlorine to clear up the water. What is the ingredient in the granules you're using?
    Janet

Don't mean to sound stupid but is the CYA level. Would the pool store have given that to me?

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

CYA is also known as stabilizer. The pool store should have given you a result for it with your other test results.
    Janet

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

CYA = cyanuric acid = stabilizer.

Yes, the pool store probably gave you a reading. No, you can't trust their reading. Pool store testing is inaccurate so often that we can't trust it. In our experience, less than 5% of pool stores give reliable chemical advice and provide accurate testing. (In many cases, they don't know that what they are telling you is wrong, or that their test methods are awful!)

Your only option this weekend is to see if any Walmart in the area has the HTH 6-way test kit - you can check online:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/HTH-6-Way-Test-Kit/17043668

Otherwise, purchase a cheapie OTO kit locally and order a K2006. (You'll eventually need a K2006 with an HTH 6way, but the kits are made by the same company and are compatible.) Tell us what your CURRENT pH and chlorine levels are -- AS MEASURED with the NEW kit -- and what the pool looks like.

Also, you won't make things worse by adding 2 gallons of PLAIN 6% household bleach DIRECTLY TO YOUR POOL this evening. You can get that at Walmart, too.

+ Reply to Thread