+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stair, Vinyl Stain Removal

Default Stair, Vinyl Stain Removal

I have a light brown stain on fiberglass stairs and a couple of small areas on vinyl liner. Read a lot about the acsorbic acid method (the vitamin C tablet will lighten the stain). I see that a sequestering agent is added after the acsorbic acid clears the stain. What is a sequestering agent and where can you get it. Pool water is balanced and clear - BBB method.
    In-ground rectangle 18x36 vinyl, 26,000 gallons, Hayward super pump, 1/2 HP motor, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward Navigator Cleaner, Gas Heater (valved off now), county water system same as house, Atlanta, Ga area

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Stair, Vinyl Stain Removal

Hi cookieman,

I'm sorry you haven't gotten any responses to this by now--I somehow missed it. A sequestering agent is a chem that will take the metals in your water and keep them in suspension, so they don't drop out and stain your pool. You might look through this thread http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...g-agent-to-use where Pooldoc discusses some specific sequestrants and where/how to get them.
    Janet

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

I've started working with this guy:
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?15092

on a methodical process to remove his stains.

Take a look, see if it answers your questions, and then post any unanswered questions about the process or how it applies to YOUR pool, here in this thread.

Thanks to you both. I began reading reply to MountainStone after I posted. I read it quickly and need to go back read in more detail. Will let you know if I have questions.
    In-ground rectangle 18x36 vinyl, 26,000 gallons, Hayward super pump, 1/2 HP motor, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward Navigator Cleaner, Gas Heater (valved off now), county water system same as house, Atlanta, Ga area

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Good enough!

Ready to buy the materials, but won't try it until we return from vacation. I do have some questions: 1) Will I need to adjust chemical quantities purchased based on my pool size since different than MountainStone? 2) I have read other posts in which Jacks Magic Purple/Pink was used with ascorbic acid. Is the advantage of this newer method to have a highe success rate of removing the stains and lessen the possiblity of the stains recurring? 3) Since I have a sand filter vs cartridge like MountainStone, will I still need to use the cal hypo? If so will that have to be my permanent source of chlorine? Will I be able to go back to other sources like bleach or tabs (when my CYA gets low). 4) Will I need to continue to use CuLator permanently or just as needed.

Other unrelated questions - What is best place to put tabs - chlorinator, skimmer, floatie.... I have read varying opinions. I have also seen analytical numbers in posts referring to FC levels of 3.2. I have the Taylor 2006, but unless I am missing something with the drop counts, I don't see how you can get finer than .5 ppm? Am I missing anything?

Thanks so much for all the help.....you just don't know how much I have enjoyed not going to a pool store in the last 7 months!!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I'm going to let Ben discuss with you the specifics about the metals issues.

Regarding testing and getting readings of 3.2 etc. ---- If you use a 25 ml water sample, the multiplier for each drop is 0.2 rather than 0.5 as it is with the 10ml sample. However, we recommend using the 10ml sample so that your testing reagents will last longer. Besides, you don't really need 0.2 precision. 0.5 is good enough!

Tabs can go in any of those places you mentioned. If you do put it in the skimmer, however, you need to make sure your pump does not stay off for more than 8 hours as trichlor tabs are very acidic.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookieman View Post
    1) Will I need to adjust chemical quantities purchased based on my pool size since different than MountainStone?
    Yes. Ask me, when you get back. If you post in this thread, "I'm back", I'll get an email, since I'm subscribed.

2) I have read other posts in which Jacks Magic Purple/Pink was used with ascorbic acid. Is the advantage of this newer method to have a high success rate of removing the stains and lessen the possibility of the stains recurring?
    We haven't quite gotten to the point of a standard 'method', though I'm moving that way. I'm not sure which posts you've seen, so I don't know exactly WHAT you've seen. However, I am trying to use Amazon + Kem-Tek where I can, because I know (as much as I can) what's in those products, and I don't in many others, plus Kem-Tek is sold DIRECTLY by Amazon, which results in better shipping rates and times. As it happens I do know the ingredient in Jacks Pink and Purple stuff: it's the SAME HEDP recommended to Mountainstone. But, I know the concentration in the Kem-Tek product, but not in Jacks product.

3) Since I have a sand filter vs cartridge like MountainStone, will I still need to use the cal hypo? If so will that have to be my permanent source of chlorine? Will I be able to go back to other sources like bleach or tabs (when my CYA gets low).
    It depends; see below.

4) Will I need to continue to use CuLator permanently or just as needed.
    First, we are NOT sure that CuLator works -- as you've probably seen, we haven't heard back from Mountainstone, and I have emailed him. Second, assuming it does work (and we think it does) you ONLY need to use it, IF you are continuing to add metals to your pool. Since we don't yet know where the metals came from (or, I didn't see an answer in a quick scan-back of your thread), I don't know if you'll continue to need metal control or not. We WILL need to test your fill water, and look for other sources.

If you DO have a continual metal source and do NOT want stains, then you'll need to use some method to prevent this, whether it's CuLator, or cal hypo, or a combo.

Other unrelated questions - What is best place to put tabs - chlorinator, skimmer, floatie.... I have read varying opinions. I have also seen analytical numbers in posts referring to FC levels of 3.2. I have the Taylor 2006, but unless I am missing something with the drop counts, I don't see how you can get finer than .5 ppm?
    + Best place depends on circumstances. Floaters can be a problem with grabby children -- would have NEVER worked with my boys. But skimmer tabs are a no-no if you are adding chemicals via the skimmer.
    + If you fill the FAS-DPD tube or chamber to the 25ml line, instead of the 10ml line, then you get a 0.2 ppm resolution. But, you don't need that on outdoor stabilized pools.

Thanks so much for all the help.....you just don't know how much I have enjoyed not going to a pool store in the last 7 months!![/QUOTE]

I'm back. However, just read about the problems surrounding you you and the forum, so will understand if you can't respond. For what it is worth, I fully support you, the mods and the forum, and am gratefulnto all of you for the help and education you have provided me and countless (forgot, you can actually count them) others!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

+ Reply to Thread