+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Thank you pool doc!! Your the best.....

Default Re: Thank you pool doc!! Your the best.....

Ben, I am not using the sand filter per your instructions several posts ago just so you know. It seems your last post suggested I was using the sand filter? I am using the cart only.

If your post is right then want me to use DE in the cart? I threw a cup in just for that test as I stated. Like I said no DE came out the return. And that was on hi speed pump.

I could take macro pics of the filter but tell me of what part of the filter?

I could run the sand filter by itself if you think that's better? I hook up the sand after the cart and just remove the cart from the housing. Or I had them both running in series at one time.

Yeah Ben I have been unemployed since 2009. Unemployment ran out and wife works now. I am a stay home dad with the 3 kids and 1 grand kid. My youngest is 4 and my oldest is 19. Heck I am only 46. We are just making ends meet with no extras.

So I don't have two nickles to rub together.

Anyway bleach and my time is cheap though, plus I have a small pool.

Yes I have a good vac, pole, and hose. I vac almost every night... Wait are you going to have me floc?????????? I heard bad stuff about that. Plus I am on a well, so to vac to waste with the sand filter I am sure I will need to fill my pool a lot. If I bypass my softner I am sure I will get iron issues. I will have to vac and fill a little at a time if that's what you want me to do.

OK I will stop talking....LOL

Mike NJ
    12x18 vinyl AG 6.2K gal; Hayward equp: 16" sand filter (spring clean up) -- Xtream 100 sft cart (after clean up) -- Power Flo Matrix 1hp 2spd pump w/ AO Smith motor

PM FC : 15
    PM CC : 0

Added 5 - cups 6% bleach to bring to 18. Cleaned all the DE out of the filter for the test I did. Back to clean filter 5 psi low speed. No CC so I wonder if I just let the Cl lower to normal levels now, and keep filtering 24/7.

Will be 3 weeks Monday night. 39 gallons of bleach so far.

Mike NJ
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 05-05-2012 at 10:59 PM.
    12x18 vinyl AG 6.2K gal; Hayward equp: 16" sand filter (spring clean up) -- Xtream 100 sft cart (after clean up) -- Power Flo Matrix 1hp 2spd pump w/ AO Smith motor

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

No.

Turn the pump off, and let the pool sit still for 2 days. Use bleach to keep the chlorine level above 10 ppm.

I'll explain more Monday. This is happening to a bunch of people (the can't filter algae, not the CYA => ammonia) and I think I've figured out what's going on.

Not sure what the best fix will be, however.

I need to know if you have a hand vacuum set (pole, head, hose) and if you know how to use a siphon on an AG pool like yours to vacuum.

I need to know if you have a hand vacuum set (pole, head, hose) and if you know how to use a siphon on an AG pool like yours to vacuum

Yes I have a vac, hose, pole and yes I can siphon.

I can do anything. Im a plumber.

Mike NJ

So I turned the pump off this morning.

It may seem from your post that I may need to skim/siphon the top water with something? Or you may be on to something?

I was thinking a wet dry vac???

I will wait to hear from you and as it stands, pump is off.

Have a good rest of the weekend...

Mike NJ

Ben, it seems the pool is clearing up with the filter not running. Its been about 13 hours. I can see the bottom almost clearly. Looks like a pollen ring around the waterline. I dont know what else you want me to tell you that may help you help me. Pollen from the trees I am sure.

I am eagerly waiting to hear what I may need to do next. Its about 8pm and I am going to check the CL levels and adjust accordingly to 10 ppm as you stated.

Thanks.

Hmmm. last year I believe I gave up at one point and had turned the filter off for a few days. Then it rained and cleared. But I would have to read line by line on what I exactly did last year.

But I know it was the same exact issue of not being able to filter.

Mike NJ
    Last edited by Lawrosa; 05-06-2012 at 08:23 PM.

Ben, I am just checking in.... Are you still with me? I am following what you told me in post #53.

I am on standby.

Mike NJ

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Has the pool settled enough, to make it possible to hook up a siphon to the vac head, and vacuum the algae out to the ground?

(Be sure to keep the chlorine level up, by pouring bleach around the pool!)

Yes I kept the CL up to 10... What am I doing exactly? You did not explain the concept and what I am trying to achieve.

If you want me to vac the pool bottom with minimal distubance, I would just hook the sand filter up and vac to waste on low speed.

Please post back...

Mike NJ

If the algae will settle to a layer, 3" thick or less, on the bottom, then you should be able to vacuum to waste. If this doesn't work, the next step is to add a floc, and try to use that to accomplish the same thing.

I don't think you are going to be able to filter the algae particles in any reasonable time, with your existing equipment. However, since you are a plumber, if you can set up your sand filter to operate with your pump at about 10 GPM, then THAT would filter it. You'd need to place a valve between the pump and the filter -- throttling elsewhere can cause problems.

+ Reply to Thread