+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Thank you pool doc!! Your the best.....

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Thank you pool doc!! Your the best.....

The DE will filter smaller particles than the cartridge. As I said in my earlier post, some cartridges can be used with DE but I can't find the discussion I'm looking for at the moment. I know that sand can be.

Janet

Yes but the pool smells and is releasing some gas as described in Ben's ammonia sticky for cloudy pools. It will not filter unless I kill what's pooping in there as Ben describes.

Do you all agree with this? You all think it's filtering issues?

Mike NJ
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 04-30-2012 at 03:03 PM. Reason: editing to trim / organize / answer
    12x18 vinyl AG 6.2K gal; Hayward equp: 16" sand filter (spring clean up) -- Xtream 100 sft cart (after clean up) -- Power Flo Matrix 1hp 2spd pump w/ AO Smith motor

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

No, it is not totally a filter issue. As long as you are losing more than 1 ppm of chlorine overnight, something is going on. You may have filter issues as well, but there is something consuming the chlorine. Keep shocking.

Hey lawrosa, just wanted to let you know it took me 5 days of bleach every evening until I got the water to be noticeably clearer. I can finally see the bottom and my cl is now holding. Hopefully you are almost there!! I got that funky chlorine smell 2 days before the "break through" happened.
    18' round 7.5K gal AG vinyl pool; bleach; Hayward C900 cartridge filter; Hayward Power Flo Matrix 3/4HP pump; hrs; HTH 6-way test kit
    ; community; PF:16

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

It's important to remember, when you're cleaning a swamp, that you need to brush your pool (even if you can't see the bottom) to expose any algae and algae piles to the chemicals. Just remember to have high levels of chlorine when you do so, so the exposed algae can't suddenly take over the pool.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 04-30-2012 at 03:07 PM. Reason: reduce # of sigs on page

OK.

So It rained last night pretty hard. Went out to check Cl levels.

Cl 12 from a 16 last night ( raised to 16)

Vacuumed and brushed sides.

I noticed I can see the hose down to the bottom of the pool. Cannot see the vacuum head though. So I would say I am clearing up.

Now here is the question that someone that knows these things can answer. Last year my pool had the same situation. The funny thing is last year it cleared up after a rain. Odd huh?

The only thing I can think is the rain drops raised the PH with the splashing and aeration? But would the rain of been acidic and countered that? I don't think is was a dilution factor, since it only raise the level of the water 3-4".

Anyway I cleaned the cart and am running on high speed, plus continuing to keep at shock levels.

I am also wondering after I test my CYA when the pool clears, when will it be OK to add it? I don't want to revert back to a cloudy pool. I think the answer will be when the Cl holds overnight and a .5 or less of CC.

Sound right?

Thanks all for your time so far. You guys are great.

Mike NJ
    12x18 vinyl AG 6.2K gal; Hayward equp: 16" sand filter (spring clean up) -- Xtream 100 sft cart (after clean up) -- Power Flo Matrix 1hp 2spd pump w/ AO Smith motor

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrosa View Post
    Cl 12 from a 16 last night ( raised to 16)
    . . . .
    The funny thing is last year it cleared up after a rain. Odd huh?
    Probably just a coincidence.

I am also wondering after I test my CYA when the pool clears, when will it be OK to add it? I don't want to revert back to a cloudy pool. I think the answer will be when the Cl holds overnight and a .5 or less of CC.
    Yeah, you can start adding CYA, once you can hold chlorine levels overnight.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 04-30-2012 at 03:07 PM. Reason: reduce # of sigs on page

It will be two weeks today and still cloudy, but clearing. It's very slow. I can see the head of the vacuum now but still cloudy. I have been through exactly 34 gallons of bleach as of this morning for a 6k gallon pool. That is keeping the pool at shock levels for the whole two weeks.

I am posting this so that it may help others. Am I doing the right thing? IDK. I guess I am getting there right???.....LOL

Mike NJ
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 04-30-2012 at 03:08 PM. Reason: editing to trim / organize / answer

I haven't seen complete test results, so I'm not really sure if you are making the progress you should.

Regarding filtering, if your filter is not stopping up pretty rapidly, I'd switch to the cartridge . . . and run on low, 24/7.

We're also seeing some filtering problems due to crummy cartridge filters. Apparently OEM, Unicel, and Filbur cartridges are OK. Pleatco, no name Chinese, and private label -- not so much. In some cases, Unicel actually MAKES the OEM cartridge . . . and sells the same cartridge under its own name for less.

This site:
    haywardcartridges.com/hayward-cartridges/cx1100re-hayward-cartridge
    offers a super deal -- the retail price is below my wholesaler's cost! But, I'm very, very skeptical. The more I dig into this, the more evidence I'm finding of cartridges being sold that aren't what they seem to claim . . . and you have to look VERY hard to find the weasel words or disclaimers.

I'm pretty sure this IS a genuine Unicel:
    Unicel C-8610 Replacement Filter Cartridge for 100 Square Foot Hayward CX1100RE @ Amazon
    If it won't bust your budget, you might want to go ahead and get one, and put it in. If it does no better, well now you've got a spare cartridge. But, if it DOES clean better, you know that at least part of the problem is that your "Unicel" cartridge wasn't really one.

One other issue: if you pull your existing cartridge, and the pleats have collapsed against each other, do NOT put a new cartridge in, until you've made sure that you won't be over-pressuring it. High pressure (>10 psi change from clean pressure) can collapse the pleats and turn a 100sft cartridge into a bad 20sft cartridge! A single overpressure run can essentially destroy a cartridge. You'd be better to clean at 5 - 6 psi change; your cartridge will last longer.

In your situation, you almost certainly will NOT over-pressure a cartridge, while running on low!

OK Ben here is what I got.
    TC 15
    CC 0 ( I just tested this today and thats what I got. 5 drops of the oo3 reagent did not make the 10ml sample turn pink. Stayed clear)
    PH 7.5
    Alk 40 ( First time I checked it today. Added about 70 oz by measure of baking soda today to raise.)
    CYA 30. ( I am guilty of adding CYA when I opened to get this 30ppm. So that may have added to my issue but its at 30.)
    Hardness 17.1 ppm. ( I test this with the Hach 5b total hardness test kit I use to test my well water hardness. Its powder based.)
    I have been running two filters in series on low speed. Cart first then sand. The cart filter is a new unicel from purchase last year from amazon. The sand is newer also. I am not really catching anything. The pressure rose 1/2 psi to 1 psi maybe.

I am using K mart brand 6% bleach or pathmark food store 5.25% This is the k mart. The one I got has 33% more for free and is 128 fl oz.

$1.66 gallon. I bought the whole shelf.

Its blurry but says 6%

The pathmark home basics stuff has no percentage and is always $1.65. I assume its 5.25% from what my tests show on Cl levels.

Let me know what other info you need.

Mike NJ
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 04-30-2012 at 03:26 PM.

+ Reply to Thread