+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Building a new pool...Owner Builder. Recommendations for new equipment

Default Building a new pool...Owner Builder. Recommendations for new equipment

Good morning!
    Thanks for a great forum! I am designing/building a new in ground pool/spa. I need some recommendations for new equipment. I am leaning towards Jandy currently, but have an open mind. It will have a salt water chlorinator, So which test kit etc would be nice to know. I have been looking at online retailers as well for my equipment as I have found it is less expensive than the "Big L" store.
    Thanks in advance for all your help!
    Mark

PS..Pool will be apps 36X20ish

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Building a new pool...Owner Builder. Recommendations for new equipment

Hi and welcome to the Pool Forum!

I'll let someone else address your questions about equipment. But, as far as test kits go, the only one we recommend is the Taylor K-2006 or 2006C (larger bottles of reagents, better buy). You can pick it up through the Amazon link in my signature below. but only buy if the seller is Amato Industries. Some other sellers substitute the K-2005 which you do NOT want. You'll also need a salt kit. That is Taylor's K-1766.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Building a new pool...Owner Builder. Recommendations for new equipment

Since you're going custom in-ground (gunite, I'm guessing) you might want to look at this site, http://www.howibuiltmyownpool.com/, done by Ben Choi who actually started the process as a member here.

He documented the process exhaustively, and his site is worth looking at, even though the pool he build was more elaborate than most will want.

Also, I'd recommend designing WHAT the pool will be like -- basic pool, pool with spa, pool with spa+spillover+fountain+solar+?? -- BEFORE you start picking equipment. The best equipment for the job depends, in part, on what the job is!

Thanks for the advice. I actually spent the $99 on Ben's site. It has been great! I have designed the pool..Pool w/ spa spilling into the pool. I have been researching, and have come to the conclusion that Jandy, Hayward and Pentair are all similar in price. I want to go with one that will let me add in automation as I can afford it. i will be buying the test kits, and as I read it, the C version has more reagents? Any suggestions on a online site to buy my equipment?
    Thanks!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

I have little experience with Jandy, but I don't like Zodiac, who owns them.

I've worked with both Pentair and Hayward products many times over the years. But, that doesn't mean I'd go with one mfg or the other. Both companies have some products in their line up that are very sub-standard in design. For example, the Pentair (StaRite) System3 cartridge system is considered by many to be awful. On the other hand, some of the pumps Hayward introduced in the past decade have been worse.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

The Taylor K-2006C doesn't have more reagents, just larger bottles (2-oz. vs. 0.75-oz.) of some of the most used ones. It is actually a better buy.

+ Reply to Thread