+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Upgrade Pool Pumps

Default Upgrade Pool Pumps

The PoolForum and PoolDoc recommend against the purchase of SpectraLight, EcoPump, Leaf Pump or ZeoPure products, or any products sold on websites affiliated with the email address info@spectrauv.com, or the parent company name "SpectraLight Technologies". Due to legal threats, we cannot say more at this time. No further discussion of these product lines is allowed. Somewhat more information is available on in this post.
    Pictures: Posted below - PoolDoc/

We picked up a foreclosed home with a pool. It's a green nightmare but we plan to get it cleaned up. It was built in 2006 and has 2 pool pumps. The main pump is closest to the pool and is a Pentair WFE-6: 1 1/2HP (Part#: 011514). The second pump (no clue what it's for, booster?) is a Pentair WFE-4: 1HP (Part#: 011513). I believe both of these pumps are 1700 watts plus when it comes to power consumption. I'd really like switch to something on the low power side. The automation system is an older one: Pentair Compool CP100TLX.

I assume I have to keep the booster pump and can't just replace both of the pumps with a single Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed pump? If that is not an option then do I really need to replace both pumps with variable speed or just the main pump as variable speed? Then replace the booster with a single speed energy efficient pump? It is also my understanding that the new Intelliflo pumps can't interface with the old Compool automation system. So the new VS pumps would need an interface device to communicate with the Compool... or I'd have to upgrade the compool to an EasyTouch system. This seems to be getting complicated/expensive to just go to VS pumps.

I've also had my eye on these pumps at ecopoolpumps.com

Might it be eaiser to just swap out my current pumps with an ecopump EP-6 and EP-4. I assume these low energy pumps without all the fancy electroincs could interface with my current compool automation system.

Anyway, just trying to figure all this stuff out. I'm totally new to the world of pool ownership.

Thanks!
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 04-21-2012 at 09:38 PM.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Upgrade Pool Pumps

Wow, thanks for the great advice! Think I'll do exactly as you recommend and just get this thing up and running. I can make any decisions on pump changes later in the summer after I have a better idea of how the pool works and what my electric bills are going to be.

+ Reply to Thread