+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do you get around a pool that is "to deep" for the kids?

Smile How do you get around a pool that is "to deep" for the kids?

Hi everyone.
    I am just getting started in the world of pools and am starting out with something small and cheap to see if pool ownership is for me before I really invest in it. So i just purchased a small pool. Intex brand 18'Dia x 48" deep. (metal framed - not the self rising type).
    First question I am hoping you can help me out with may prove to be a difficult one.... the pool is 48" deep and must be filled to a min of 43" for the filtration. My youngest daughter is only 42" to the top of her head and can't swim all that well yet. She would enjoy the pool MUCH better if she could stand in a section of it. Does anyone know of anything that I could purchase or even build to safely put in the bottom of the pool so that she could stand on it?
    Is it to much to hope for to be able to put a small "platform" in about a 1/4 or 1/3 of the pool? Obviously I want something very temparary as this problem will not last long as quickly s kids grow!
    Thanks for all your thoughts and any help or ideas are appreciated.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: How do you get around a pool that is "to deep" for the kids?

Hi, Firstpool, and welcome to the world of pool ownership!!

I'll have to think a little about your question--in the meantime, there should be other replies being offered as people see your post. My first two thoughts when I read your post were that 1)you'll need to be careful what you make the platform out of, because it's very easy to rip a hole in the liner, especially if whatever "platform" you decide on is capable of moving..for example, when the kids jump off of it, if it moves at all, you're asking for a liner rip, and 2) I am very leery of the idea of a platform with a child that doesn't swim well yet. The platform may very well lure her into a sense of security, but if she happens to accidentally step off the edge of it, she'd be in real trouble. I would think your time and money are better spent teaching her to swim. Just my $0.02, though.....
    Janet

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Echoing some of what Janet said,

1. Do NOT allow a young or weak swimmer to play in a pool unwatched, no matter how shallow. Not ever. Not even for a few minutes. Under certain circumstances, a child can become unconscious in only 15 seconds of submersion!

2. A child old enough to be in a pool without having an adult in immediate contact with them, is old enough to learn to swim.

My 25 year old son didn't realize pools HAD bottoms till he was 8 or 9 -- he'd always swum in deep public pools, and being able to touch the bottom was something he'd never experienced. At that point, though, he was swimming 2 - 4 miles daily in practice, and did not WANT a shallow bottom. He taught swim lessons for years, and prefers to teach children in water that is over their head.

Thanks for the comments.
    I have been thinking about this a great deal and it seems like unless there is something manufactured specifically for this purpose (which I have not been able to find) there is really nothing I can safely do about it.
    To address some of the concerns about the kids.... My kids NEVER swim without an adult being in with them. Doesn't matter if it is a public pool, friends pool, neighbors pool. They are WAY to young for that. My orig question was in no way to sub for me being there. It was solely to help my daughter overcome her fear of the water being too deep which may keep her from getting in the pool at all. She loves to swim but will not use the neighbors pool because she can't touch bottom and is scared.
    Thanks for your concern though.

Swim lessons are a good idea. Believe it or not I didn't really see that option. I believe that would go a long way in helping my daughter. I think I will do that.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by aylad View Post
    Hi, Firstpool, and welcome to the world of pool ownership!!

I'll have to think a little about your question--in the meantime, there should be other replies being offered as people see your post. My first two thoughts when I read your post were that 1)you'll need to be careful what you make the platform out of, because it's very easy to rip a hole in the liner, especially if whatever "platform" you decide on is capable of moving..for example, when the kids jump off of it, if it moves at all, you're asking for a liner rip, and 2) I am very leery of the idea of a platform with a child that doesn't swim well yet. The platform may very well lure her into a sense of security, but if she happens to accidentally step off the edge of it, she'd be in real trouble. I would think your time and money are better spent teaching her to swim. Just my $0.02, though.....
    Oh and thanks for the welcome! I am looking forward to learning and making the experience a joy for the whole family!

Check out my thread - Shallow End for above ground pool
    in Above-Ground Pool Equipment and Construction section. (on about page 4)

We had a fantastic season with my 38" tall 4 year old.
    He was even jumping off the step by the end of the season.

It cost less than $300 and is ready to go again next year.
    With the right size of weighting (to keep it sunk down), it was fairly easy to move for cleaning underneath.
    I have a few slightly rusty screws on the steps after 3 months submerged, so definitely go with stainless screws all around.
    If you have any construction questions, ask away.

The BEST investment I ever made, since without the platform we would have been in the pool for an hour max, but with it, we were in there for up to 4 hours at a time.

NEVER let them in un-supervised

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hughes View Post
    Check out my thread - Shallow End for above ground pool
    in Above-Ground Pool Equipment and Construction section. (on about page 4)

. . . .
    Thanks for the heads up.
    It is something to think about. I was actually thinking along the lines of PVC but had not made any decisions as to what to use for decking.

I may look into a partial copy of what you did but scaled down a little.
    I am little concerned about liner rub though. Maybe planking on the bottom could lessen the risk?

All in all good job. very nice.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

I use a piece of shower pan liner under the ladder in our pool to protect the pool liner; prehaps this would work for you. Shower pan liner is 40 mil PVC sheet available where tile is sold. I bought it at the orange home improvement store.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    I use a piece of shower pan liner under the ladder in our pool to protect the pool liner; prehaps this would work for you. Shower pan liner is 40 mil PVC sheet available where tile is sold. I bought it at the orange home improvement store.
    Yes! that would be perfect. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread