+ Reply to Thread

Thread: storing solar cover on rail

Default storing solar cover on rail

I've just purchased a fence to mount around the top rail of my pool. My pool rail is 10 inches wide. I'm hoping that I can push the cover, kind of fanfolded, up onto the rail when not using it during the day. I have a long white plastic cover that I can put over it to keep the sun off of it if I need to. On one website I saw someone use a bungee cord to hold the cover to the side wall. Maybe I can use some of these along the rail, if needed, to hold it on the rail. What are you're thoughts on this? Thanks.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Default Re: storing solar cover on rail

Welcome to the forum.
    You don't say what kind, Above or Inground, and the shape. Circular pools are a dog with solar covers. Rectangular or oval are the easiest. Storing on a rail should work but the trick is to get it on and off the rail without tearing the bubbles. The white cover is necessary to keep the heat down. The inner layers can get really hot and destroy the cover quickly. My pool is an oval inground with a rectangular cover. I roll the cover on a long length of 2" PVC pipe and I fashioned clips to hold the starting edge on the pipe. I roll it, then lift one end out of the water to drain the water out, then lift it on the deck. Watermom has a 24 foot AG and cut the circular cover in quarters and rolls each slice on a pipe the same way.
    Al

The pool is 24 ft round, above ground. It is so difficult to put the solar cover on ond off by myself that I don't use it as much as I'd like ( I have a solar mat and the cover would help prevent heat loss at night). I have a deck that goes about 40% of the way around with a pool ladder in the middle of the deck. That's my working area and I think that if I can attach one edge of the cover with strapping to the fence, on the side opposite the deck, and use a long strap at the center of the other side of the cover, I might be able to pull the cover across the surface of the water by myself. Any ideas as to how to attach the strapping to the cover? It's a little flimsy. Linda.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

I really don't have any ideas how to attach something to a cover with enough grab to e useful. If you want, maybe I can get Watermom to take a few pics of what she did. The 24' round is exactly what she has and handling the quarters of her cover is pretty easy.
    Al

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I already had pics showing what I did here on the forum in the following thread: Watermom's Solar Blanket Solution for her24' AG Pool.

Good luck. Like Al said, solar covers are a big pain for round pools but they retain SO much heat that it is worth the hassle. The way I have been doing it the past few years is pretty easy and manageable for just one person to take it on and off by themselves.

Those clips are nothing more than slices of the pipe. You can use a table saw, bandsaw, radial arm saw, miter saw or anything to give a clean straight cut. I think I made them about 3/8" wide. I then used a hand saw to cut a segment out of the circle. Use a half round file or coarse sandpaper to take off any sharp edges. The width of the clip and amount you cut out determines how much of a 'grab' it gives.
    Al
    Edit: To attach the end caps all you need to do is smear some silicone seal on the pipe and tap the cap on. Since you don't have a pressure issue you don't need the PVC cement, all the joint has to be is waterproof.
    Last edited by Poconos; 08-15-2011 at 11:10 PM.

I use the pvc J hooks to store the cover (solar saddle). It works GREAT! I simply stand outside the pool and drag the cover over the rail and let it rest in the hooks. When I'm ready to get out I drag it over the rail and into the pool. Since you have a fence see how you could mount them to the fence. I have a 27' round pool. I do it by myself and my wife has if I'm not around. It's so easy I don't give it any thought. It makes a cumbersome and annoying task as easy as possible. I haven't tried rolling them but for me it seems quicker than rolling 4 sections of cover. Search for "Solar Saddle." It's expensive for what it is (simple pvc) but it will last and last. I couldn't be hapier. With what you describe just make sure you pull the cover up as you fold it so the water drains off. If I didn't have the solar saddle I would cut the cover into 4 as suggested. I hadn't thought of that. I have a large deck area on one side so I'd probably just stack them rather than roll but it's a very clever idea and may be your best opton if you can't secure the solar saddle to the railing (or don't want to use it). Watermom's method is much cheaper than the solar saddle. Good luck!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

The solar saddle looks interesting. But, my 4 month old golden retriever puppies would have a party with that! I'm sure they would chew it up. But, it may work for someone else. Thanks for sharing!

+ Reply to Thread