+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Solar Cover Reel

Default Solar Cover Reel

Hi everyone!

I have a solar cover for my pool (18' round) and now I'm looking for the most convenient and inexpensive way to remove and store the cover. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Keith
    18' x 48" round Atlantic pool, 1hp pump, ATL140 90# sand filter rated at 20gal/minute, black-rubber-hose-on-the-roof solar heater.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Solar Cover Reel

The age-old question --- what to do with the solar cover on a round AG pool. It is without a doubt a pain in the you-know-what to deal with it but it is definitely worth the hassle because it retains so much heat overnight that would otherwise be lost.

I also have a round pool and this is what I have done with my solar cover for the last few years. I cut mine into fourths which makes it much easier to manage. I take each fourth and roll it onto a long piece of PVC (capped on the ends) and then stack the four pieces of PVC on the deck and cover it with a couple of old white twin-sized sheets. If you don't cover it, it will get so hot in the middle that it can warp the PVC. (That is what happened to mine the first year I used the PVC.) The white sheet causes much of the sunlight to be reflected, thus lowering the heat inside the rolled up solar cover and prolonging the life of it.

There are others who have done other things, but this is what I do.
    Last edited by Watermom; 06-01-2013 at 01:51 PM.

I actually hadn't thought of cutting it into smaller, more manageable pieces. I hate to because it's brand new, but I will definitely give it some thought. It sure would make it easier.

Any other ideas out there?
    18' x 48" round Atlantic pool, 1hp pump, ATL140 90# sand filter rated at 20gal/minute, black-rubber-hose-on-the-roof solar heater.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I know what you mean about hating to cut it because it is brand new, but it sure made it easier for me! I can take the cover off and on by myself easily. Before, the thing was SO HUGE that it was terrible to try and do it by myself.

Anybody else have any ideas?

Did you quarter it like a pie or did you cut it into strips?

I quartered it like a pie. Then, when I put it on, I just make sure the circular part goes around the perimeter. The two straight edges kind of overlap with the other adjacent pieces and that helps to keep it in place. Here are a few pics I took quickly to give you an idea of what I do.

In this first pic, you can kind of see what it is like rolled onto the PVC pole. Normally when I roll these up onto the pole, I am in the pool. When I took this pic today, I was standing on the outside of the pool and just quickly rolled it up. So, it isn't rolled up as neatly and as tightly around the pole as it usually would be. BTW -- the pole you see right behind the roll is not part of the rolled up section. It is just another pole that was floating in the water behind it when I took the picture..

Second picture ---- Normally, all 4 of the pieces are laying flat on the surface of the water and then I lay the PVC poles across in a couple of spots to keep the pieces down flat. Since I was taking these pics while outside the pool and wasn't in the water, i just kind of yanked on the pieces to separate them a little so you could maybe see the individual pieces. You can see the piece on the upper right section of the picture. Also, in addition to the four quarted pieces of the cover, I also throw an extra piece cut from a previous solar cover onto the area around the steps. Again, it all looks kind of messy in these pics but normally is all laying neatly in there.

On the last two pictures, I took a close-up showing one of the clips and the other one shows the clip holding the cover onto the pole. These are just inch-wide semi-circles cut from PVC. There is one at each end of the PVC pole. When I am starting to roll a piece up, i catch the edge of the cover with the clips. That holds the cover in place as I start to roll it up.

As I roll one piece of the cover onto a PVC pole, I can then easily -- by myself -- lift the piece out of the pool and lay them neatly on the deck against the rail so they are out of the way. Once all 4 pieces are laying there, I take a couple of white twin-sized bedsheets and cover them up to keep the heat level down inside the rolled up pieces of cover. That will prolong the life of the cover.

The whole process of getting all 4 rolled, lifted onto the deck and covered with a sheet takes me maybe 5 or 6 minutes and is easily done by one person. When I am ready to put them back onto the pool, again it doesn't take me more than 5 minutes and can be done easily by one person. That was never true before I cut it! Even with a couple of people helping, it was a pain in the butt. Plus, it was tough to get it onto the deck as one huge piece and it was just messy looking to have a heap of solar cover all bunched up on the deck.

Hope my idea may help somebody who is struggling to figure out how to manage their solar covers. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
    Last edited by Watermom; 07-13-2011 at 05:10 PM. Reason: explain pics

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

How about cutting it into diamonds like a Chicago pizza?

They make solar reels for round pools. You roll up the cover then swing it away from the pool

Carl
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
    They make solar reels for round pools. You roll up the cover then swing it away from the pool

Carl
    Yes, but to swing it away from the pool, you still have to clear the top rail of the pool. Hard to do. That cover is HEAVY especially when it has some water trapped in the rolls. Plus, a 24ft diameter is LONG. There is also the concern about the weight of that huge piece of vinyl sagging in the middle.

I have thought and thought about this through the years and cutting it into fourths has been the best choice for me and my pool. I wanted something that I could manage by myself because 9 times out of 10, I am getting in the pool by myself. In the years before I started doing it this way, I was just lifting it a little at a time out of the water into a heap onto the deck. Not too attractive, also not too good for the cover. But, by cutting it into smaller pieces, I can easily roll each section up onto the PVC and then lift them out one at a time to neatly stack on the deck and then cover with a white sheet. All it cost me was the price of 4 pieces of PVC and some endcaps. Cheap, easy, neatly rolled and stacked on the pool deck and I can do it by myself. Works for me.

That is awesome. You have a creative mind for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    FYI -- I edited my post #6 above to include pics. The reason for this reply is to bump it up to show a new post because simply editing a thread does not make it reappear as an unread post. If you are interested, scroll back up to post #6 to see the pics.
    It looks like the system works quite well. I especially like the clips you made for it. Good job. I'm still debating how to do it. Since mine is only 18', I'm considering just cutting it in half first and giving that a try.

What happens when you turn on the pump? My cover is still in one piece and the return line from the pump blows it all to one side once in a while.

+ Reply to Thread