+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Need help with starting chlorine after drain/refill

Default Re: Need help with starting chlorine after drain/refill

Thanks Ben!

we had another period of swimming today with no ill effects. and my CC is down to 0.5 for the first time ever!!!!! I am just a little ecstatic

Who knew watching that tinge of pink turn totally clear could feel so good!!!!

In any case, I am going to need to add some water from my hose tomorrow to top up the water level - our town water supply is known to be hard but I never had any problems with the baquacil pool in terms of metals ( at least as far as I was aware!)

Do I need to do anything special before or after adding the water from the hose tomorrow? ( either now or in the future?) With the new water you had me put in a 1.5 maintenance dose of polyquat. ( was that for the metals or algae? or both?)

Thanks! aciam

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Fill through the skimmer. If you got any chlorine tabs, put one in. That way any metals tend to come out on the filter.

Hi Ben - so we had another great day of swimming yesterday - we didn't swim today because of rain.

I added water from my hose yesterday and then again today through the skimmer with a trichlor tab in it as you suggested with no problem.

When I was checking the skimmer basket this evening, I noticed it had an orange-brown hue to it - so I took it out to better inspect and noted some thick black substance on the underlip of the basket. My best guess is that the brown hue was some metal residue from adding water into the basket the last 2 days. I was able to clean it off with some ajax - it did not feel slimy at all - more a color coating.

However, the black substance I am a little more worried about. It was a small amount but thick and almost greasy - it spread out and smeared under my finger and was difficult to clean ( like grease).

I did some reading on the site about black algae and learned about your "schmear" test - I don't remember it looking green at all when I smeared it and I even went back to check the papertowels I had used to clean it - they don't look green to me either. Not sure what black algae feels like or if this is a typical location. I inspected the rest of the pool and it looks pristine.

We did put a new ladder in yesterday - and we used some black silicone sealing tape at the railing ends - but they are not submerged in the pool. ( Is that tape OK to use or should we change it?)

Otherwise my numbers have been stable : FC has been maintained between 3.5 and 5.5 over the last 2 days and CC has been 0.5 most recently. I have seen no increase in chlorine needs. I continue to use trichlor tabs.
    Ph is 7.3 and alk 70-80
    CYA today was btw 30 and 40

1. do you agree the color change in skimmer is likely due to some metal deposition from adding water with tab in it? and not a worry.

2. any thoughts about the black substance? do I need to be worried? ( I have a 10K gal vinyl AG pool)

Obviously I will inspect closely again tomorrow. The drain/refill of my water happened on june 24th so the new water has been in only 9 days. You did have me add 4oz of polyquat on the 25th. Other than that, I have only added borax, baking soda, bleach and trichlor to the water. Thanks! aciam

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

It's pretty normal to have black goo accumulate in skimmers and such. It seems to be related to body oils, sunscreen, and/or mold compounds used in making tabs. I wouldn't worry, though I would wipe it offl.

The test for metal is vitamin C -- if a crushed damp v-C tab removes it, it's metal.

Hi Ben - so it's been a couple of days since I have posted and I just wanted you to know that - I don't have any more questions for you!!!!

You and your moderators have fixed my pool!!!!! I have had a CC of 0 for the last 24 hours - yes that's right - big fat zero!!!! I almost can't believe my eyes when I look at the non-pink clarity of my water in the taylor comparator tube!!!! I keep testing just to get the thrill of the end result! So thank you for all of your patience and diligence and for sharing all of your knowledge with me - and thank you to chem geek and waterbear and watermom and everyone else who responded to my posts and helped. It has been a truly crazy 6 weeks! You were right when you said it might get better in a week or two - after I added the new water and it still had a CC of 5. And I am so thankful! Just wanted to let you know! aciam

PS - I still am quite an amateur at managing a chlorine pool so I am sure I will continue to have questions unfortunately for you and since I trust no one but the pool forum here I will be asking them all to you guys! - just in case you were thinking about closing out this thread!

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Congratulations on having finally gotten the pool under control--now enjoy it!! And we wouldn't be closing out this thread...but you're welcome to ask any questions you come up with, just start new threads with them!!

Happy swimming...

Hi Ben - so all has been well with our pool these last few weeks. I went ahead and added a total of 8 boxes of borax with muriatic acid to neutralize per your instructions last week over several days so that I have a semipermanent algistat in the water. ( in preparation for going away) I now have a few questions:

1. my cya is now up to 60-70; a while ago you told me to switch to liquid bleach from the trichlor tabs I have been using once I hit a cya of 60. But, because of my pool's tenuous history, you had also told me at one point not to use liquid bleach.
    -So, I was just wondering what I should do at this point.
    -And, if I use the liquid do I add it through skimmer?
    -And I think you once said that the cya would decrease by backwashing my sand filter - is that right? and so should I do it and continue with the trichlor tabs since they have worked so well.

2. we are planning to go away sunday through thursday - I have someone who can come a couple times to test and put bleach into the pool while we are away. Do I have to do anything to prep the pool to leave it now that it has been up and running almost a month and the borax is in. would your advice be different if friends will swim in it while we are away?

Thank you! aciam

+ When you lose water by backwashing, you replace it with water that has not stabilzer. So, over time, you reduce stabilizer. Chem_Geek has also reported that you may lose as much as 5% per month, via various mechanisms.
    + Add the bleach to the pool. You could add through the skimmer, but you've got to make sure there's nothing in the lines, so it's just easier to add to the pool. Just make sure your pump is running, either way.
    + It's fine to use bleach now, but while you're gone it might be easier for someone just to maintain 2 - 3 tabs in your skimmer. That's what I'd lean toward.

Hi Ben!

Well we have had a great summer swimming in our drained and freshly filled newly chlorinated pool and I have used only borax, baking soda, and bleach to maintain it! Here in Mass the nights are getting cold so our above ground, non heated pool has come to its last weekend of use. We are preparing to close it for the winter and I need a cheat sheet version of how to do it with chlorine based pools.

As a reminder, our pool is approximately 10 thousand gallons, oval above ground pool. ( and remember we have used baquacil for the last 10 years prior to this summer's conversion/drain and refill so I am unsure if the closing procedure is different with chlorine). We always use a pillow in the middle of the pool and put a cover on. I usually just drain it to below the skimmer basket and plug up the inlet opening to minimize having to add water next season. And we always take in the motor and cover the filter.

I most importantly need to know about the chemicals to put in and the timing for them in order to winterize the pool. And if you have any other suggestions about my above described plan feel free to let me know!

Thank you again for all of your help - we would never have gotten through the conversion without you! aciam

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

+ Reply to Thread