+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Metal Free or Not

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Default Re: Metal Free or Not

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    Probably, you need a test kit.
    I would say you DEFINITELY need a test kit. Get yourself a Taylor K-2006 and start testing your own water.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

I ordered the good test kit from amazon so from here on out I will be in charge of what is going in my pool, with your help of course

I added up what I have put into my pool in the past week or so and it is 16lbs of Baking Soda and 32 lbs of Borax and the PH has not increased.

I am still waiting on the new test kit but the new one from the store shows no change in PH.

I plan to add more borax today.

Anything I am overlooking or do I need to do more reading (research), I thought I had it figured out but this seems like alot of chemicals with no change.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Again, it's not likely that your pH hasn't changed. What is possible is that your pH is so low that your existing test kit can't measure the change.

Do this:

#1 - Do a pH test again. Presumably, it will turn yellow, which with phenol red is 6.5 or LOWER. Add a tiny pinch of borax to the test chamber. The water should turn purple or at least red. That verifies that everything is working.
    #2 - Add around 23 more pounds of borax - 5 boxes of 20 Mule Team borax -- which may or may not raise your pH enough, but will put you firmly in the 'good zone' for borates.
    #3 - Retest. If your pH is STILL not high enough, buy some Arm and Hammer WASHING soda (not baking soda). Here, locally, it's right next to the borax in Walmart. Add 2 boxes at a time, wait 2 hours, and retest. Drop back to 1/2 box at the first sign of pH change.

(Follow Waterbear's advice on the Metal Free)

Tomorrow I will go out and try to hunt down some Borax, 2 Meijers and 1 Walmart are out by me.

I did pick up some washing soda though, can I just use that instead of the Borax? Or is there a reason to use the Borax?

I did get my water test kit today and tried it out, looks like your recommendation for the amount of Borax is about spot on.

Just need to get the PH up to stop the chlorine from burning out at a rediculous rate.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Reread post #13 point #3. Ben tells you there to use Washing Soda. Good to hear that you got your kit! That will make this a lot easier for you. BTW -- the pH has nothing to do with the chlorine consumption.

Keep us posted how you things are going!

Ok, I did not know to use the washing soda in place of the borax but I did find 4 boxes today so when that runs out I will continue with the washing soda. I thought I had read that PH stabilizes the chlorine so it does not fade out so fast, I am learning and open minded so please teach me the correct ways.

Thanks alot.

-Jay

+ Reply to Thread