+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new user just saying hi

Default new user just saying hi

I don't really have a question, but since I can longer browse the forums now that I registered, I need to post here in order to resume browsing.

Unless someone can tell me why my pool is so cloudy after switching from pristine Blue to soft swim. All my levels are acceptable, I changed the filter sand, and I have left the pump off to see if anything settled to the bottom, which it hasn't. Since my wonderful pool store came up with the answer of "I have no idea what the problem would be" I am left to swim in a cloudy pool. I should have stayed with Pristine Blue. It was a pain getting the stuff and it cost an arm and a leg, but I never had any problems with it. Always sparkling clear water. /rant

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: new user just saying hi

Hello to you and welcome to the forum! If you can tell us a little more info, we can help you get your cloudy water cleared up. Tell us what type of pool you have and the volume. Also, please post current water testing results taken with a drops-based kit. If you don't have a good kit, check the Amazon link in my signature for the kits we recommend --- Taylor K-2006 or 2006C. Only buy if the seller listed is Amato Industries. Other sellers may substitute the K-2005 which you don't want.

What is the ingredient in Pristine Blue and in Softswim?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Hi Swerve

I'm guessing you've made -- how can I put this -- a BIG mess!

Pristine Blue (copper sulfate) and Softswim (PHMB) are *totally* incompatible. Unless you drained the pool before adding SoftSwim, your cloudiness is partially destroyed PHMB.

Honestly, I don't know how to clean this up. The way you remove copper is not really compatible with removing SoftSwim. And, I don't know how to remove that much copper -- it's in the walls and filter, if you've been using it for awhile -- while leaving the Softswim there.

Let's start with this: did you completely drain* and refill your pool before adding SoftSwim?

Ben

* If you have a liner pool, a complete drain can destroy your liner.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

If you decide to drain and refill, we'll have Poconos go over a totally safe way to do it with you. Something to do with a large clear plastic sheet that separates the old from the water. You fill on top of the sheet and drain the old water from below. That way your pool, especially a vinyl one, isn't disturbed. But Poconos has done it. I haven't.

Carl
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
    If you decide to drain and refill, we'll have Poconos go over a totally safe way to do it with you. Something to do with a large clear plastic sheet that separates the old from the water. You fill on top of the sheet and drain the old water from below. That way your pool, especially a vinyl one, isn't disturbed. But Poconos has done it. I haven't.

Carl
    This is amazing. I do it every winter.

Hang in there SwervE - these guys and gals will set you straight. I have no doubt.
    Circa 1980 IG, VL, 36K Gal, DE, Chlorine

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Manslick View Post
    This is amazing. I do it every winter.

Hang in there SwervE - these guys and gals will set you straight. I have no doubt.
    Manslick: You drain and refill simultaneously with Pocono's plastic sheet method?
    Can you guide the OP in how to do it? I only know the theory, not the practical practice.

Carl
    Carl

Manslick: You drain and refill simultaneously with Pocono's plastic sheet method?
    Can you guide the OP in how to do it? I only know the theory, not the practical practice.

Carl
    Nah, not intentionally – I close the pool at normal level with a gizmo and the inlets plugged after blowing all the lines and closing all the valves.

During the winter water seeps onto the solid cover. I think birds and chipmunks peck and claw at bugs and poke little holes in it. So I siphon off the seepage plus any rain and bring the level back up with the hose – weather permitting.

So what I do by necessity is very similar to the Poconos method you described, the end result being a water change from bottom to top.

I could see with the right size cover and hosing you could switch the water pretty easily.
    Circa 1980 IG, VL, 36K Gal, DE, Chlorine

First let me start by saying thank to you any and all responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    Hello to you and welcome to the forum! If you can tell us a little more info, we can help you get your cloudy water cleared up. Tell us what type of pool you have and the volume. Also, please post current water testing results taken with a drops-based kit. If you don't have a good kit, check the Amazon link in my signature for the kits we recommend --- Taylor K-2006 or 2006C. Only buy if the seller listed is Amato Industries. Other sellers may substitute the K-2005 which you don't want.

What is the ingredient in Pristine Blue and in Softswim?
    I have an above ground (roughly 10,500 gallons). Hayward sand filter with a matris pump. I don't have the actuall numbers at hand, but all my numbers were where they should be. I can post exact numbers later.

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    Hi Swerve

I'm guessing you've made -- how can I put this -- a BIG mess!

Pristine Blue (copper sulfate) and Softswim (PHMB) are *totally* incompatible. Unless you drained the pool before adding SoftSwim, your cloudiness is partially destroyed PHMB.

Honestly, I don't know how to clean this up. The way you remove copper is not really compatible with removing SoftSwim. And, I don't know how to remove that much copper -- it's in the walls and filter, if you've been using it for awhile -- while leaving the Softswim there.

Let's start with this: did you completely drain* and refill your pool before adding SoftSwim?

Ben

* If you have a liner pool, a complete drain can destroy your liner.

I did not drain and start new. When I closed my pool after last season I didn't close with chemicals. I just left it go knowing I was going to switch to something else this year. At the beginning of the season I vacuumed to waste till it was about waist deep. In part to get all the debris off the bottom and in part so I could fill half with fresh water. I did change the sand, but not till after I filled the pool back up. I thought maybe it was dirty sand causing cloudyness. My pool store told me there was almost no trace of the pristine blue in the pool before I switched to soft swim and it would be fine to switch, but as I learned they aren't to realiable of a source.

My thoughts now are to just roll with it for the rest of the year and start new next year. After reading all the threads about soft swim and switching to chlorine, I do believe that is what I will do next year. lol my wife will be ready to kill me after this. I would drain and start new now, but after already filling the pool halfway and spending all that cash on a new chemical system I'm not really ready to abandon ship. Any thoughts and/or help is really appreciated.

Carl

I have actually completely drained the pool and refilled with no ill affects to the pool liner. I didn't think it would hurt as I am the one who leveled the ground and set the pool up. It is a pretty stout frame with a groove/hook system to hold the liner in place.

Just a little update.

I had prepared myself to swim in a cloudy pool for the entire season and finally was ok with it. Well, as ok as one can be who can't get their pool strait. Slowly the cloudiness receeded and now today the water is crystal clear. Sometimes doing nothing is the best course of action. I guess I just needed time to get all of the pristine blue out of the pool.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

+ Reply to Thread