+ Reply to Thread

Thread: had pool for a few years

Cool had pool for a few years

just changed liner and starting all over water is full pump running water clear and just cant get stabilizer up and pool to hold clorine i am new to site and new to BBB method have used pool shock and 3" puck s along with the usual stuff sold at pool place help in start the BBB METHOD

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: had pool for a few years

Shouldn't be too hard:

#1 - add 1/2 gallon of 6% chlorine bleach per 10,000 gallons of pool water . . . EACH evening till you've gotten stabilizer up.
    #2 - add 3 - 5 lbs of stabilizer to the pool per 10,000 gallons. Do so by FIRST cleaning your filter and then SECOND by adding the stabilizer slowly to a skimmer. Leave the pump running 24/7 for the next 4 days.
    #3 - buy a cheap OTO / phenol red test kit (Walmart or wherever) and start testing each evening b4 you add chlorine. Don't add chlorine if the OTO is very dark yellow or orange.
    #4 - report your results back here, and we'll help you move on to the next step.

Ben

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

And, to add to what Ben wrote, seek advice here before buying/adding "the usual stuff from the pool store." Pool stores are notorious for selling you a bunch of stuff you don't need.

One last thing he forgot to advise ------- go swimming and enjoy your pool! Welcome to the forum!

just check pool with test strips i know get a kit i have used strips the whole time anyway i still read all ok except stabilizer and to 1st reply i added 4 lb of stablizer 2 days agog and pump been riunning continnuosly since water was full about a week i have a round 21ft x52" pool over last seasons no trouble at all but i changed liner and in so had a complete water change that is why i started all over so what is oto and what can be used to bring up stabilizer also i started this year using a dispenser instead of putting pucks in skimmer ? oh and forgot and most important i also changed sand will be looking for reply thanks lots

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I'm guessing that your volume is around 10K. 4 lbs of stabilzer in a 10K pool should add about 50ppm of stabilizer. It takes up to a week to totally dissolve and give you an accurate reading so don't test it for awhile. You really don't want your stabilizer (cya) level to be any higher than 50, so I would not recommend using those pucks. They are Trichlor pucks and they add more stabilizer which you don't need. I would suggest just using bleach as your source of chlorine for this pool.

thanks and its around 12,000 gallons also i am going to get a test kit , plz for give my typing as dont work on pc for living nor daily any how i found this site by serching best way to hold down steps, what is OTO? the clorine has been haed to get where it needs to be i dont know why as it may be due to rainfall ? we have had lots! i didnt have this much trouble the last 4 years together???? just wonder what i am doing wrong then when i came across this site and read about pool places and read the BBB method it goes aginst what the pool place says not to use bleach not to use baking soda and ect but as i ahve read you guys have been at this a long time so? any way thats my story will be asking more questions as i go using the BBB AS IT LOOKS AS IF IT WORKS FINE BY THE WAY THE STORE I USE NAME IS POOL SOLUTIONS???? THATS FUNNY THANKS AGAIN

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by airraid1999 View Post
    BY THE WAY THE STORE I USE NAME IS POOL SOLUTIONS???? THATS FUNNY
    Not all that funny, to me.

When I started PoolSolutions.com (1996) there weren't any such stores that I could find. I couldn't afford to trademark it, so that's what I get.
    It's especially ironic that a store using my name (unless they started before 1996) would be opposing the BBB method. Ugh.

OTO is a chemical (orthotolidine) that turns yellow in the presence of chlorine, and is used to make cheap and reliable testkits. You can get an OTO / phenol red kit at Walmart, usually.

Please do so.

Ben

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Baking soda costs $.80/lb. "Total Alkalinity Raiser" is between $3 and $5/lb Why do you think they want you to use that instead? (they are both sodium bicarbonate)
    Washing soda costs $.80/lb. "pH Up!" and "Balance Pak 200" cost between $3 and $5/lb....and they are all Sodium Carbonate. Guess what they want you to buy?
    Ultra Bleach and "Liquid Chlorine 6% are both Sodium hypochlorite solution. Yup. Same story.
    Phosphate Removers, Algaecides, clarifiers, flocculants do little if anything (if you're lucky). Usually they cause more trouble.

The B-B-B method means you won't spend hundreds at the pool store. Naturally they want to prevent that.

Everything we know is wrong...yet time after time our methods works and predictably so. My wife says the only swimming pool she can go into and not get sick is ours. Of course, she would have equal confidence in the pools of any of our long-time followers of the B-B-B method.

Before I found PF over a decade ago, I bought the standard book: Taming the Pool Monster. It is, IMHO, pure junk. Industry nonsense.

Carl
    Carl

i do believe that you was established first any how i ordered new test kit will have more questions about BBB thanks.

funny not ha ha funny as in strange please dint be offended as i trust you guys as you all have been doing this for years for what i can tell and thanks for any and all help !

+ Reply to Thread