+ Reply to Thread

Thread: upgrade 20x4 intex?

Default upgrade 20x4 intex?

Hi all! I'm new here and am really digging this pool building stuff. Trying to add a little efficiency to my game plan. Found a large Hayward sand filter that came off a 25k gal inground, and now looking for a pump to drive it. 1hp, I'm guessing? One thing that concerns me is the 1 1/2" intex flexible hoses and plunger valves. Could I pick up flow by eliminating all of it and going straight pvc. Just plan on one suction and one supply line, both approx. 15ft. Any advice I appreciate, thanks!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: upgrade 20x4 intex?

Just say NO!

Do NOT try to re-engineer the filter and pump on an Intex with inground gear. You are risking a SERIOUS suction injury to a family member by doing so. Most IG pool pumps, and many AG pool pumps generate enough suction and flow to literally "suck your guts out".

I hope I can scare you enough with the photos below to make you stop. I'll look tonight, and see if I can find medical photos of sucked out guts, if these photos don't convince you.

This is very, very serious stuff, and I'm not talking about a 1 in a million chance, if you succeed in hooking an IG pump up to an Intex pool.

Thanks Pooldoc, and you're right, don't want anything that hurts someone. There has to be some room for improvement over the weak pump that came with it, though. Scanning the net, I've seen many mods on this subject. Worse case scenario- I use the weak pump with the massive sand filter. Gotta be better than the tiny cartridge setup?

madwil is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver madwil 0

The bigger filter will help reduce how much you have to clean the filter, and with the backwash will make it easier...

Ben, if they are using the skimmer attachment with the INTEX pool, wouldn't that prevent the suction hazards? I never had a problem with mine when I previously had an INTEX, but didn't have a large pump either...

+ Reply to Thread