+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pool Stains...help

Default Pool Stains...help

I posted a few things last year and this forum really helped me out, I really appreciate all the help last year. I have ran into another problem at the Apartment Complex Pool that I take care of. Within the past 6 months or so, i have noticed these hockey size/shape brownish stains at the bottom of the pool. I have tried taking a pumice stone and rubbing on it lightly and doesn't work. I have tried taking some PVC pipe and pouring down some Muriatic Acid on the stains and did not work. So the last thing I tried and it worked, was taking a 3 inch stabilized chlorine tablet and letting it sit on the stain for about 10mins. BAM! it worked the stain was gone. I did have the metals tested a few months ago and they said the copper levels were kind of high, I do not remember the exact number. So since then i have been adding a bottle of Metal out once every 2 weeks. I can get the water retested for copper. So I guess it's copper in the water that is causing these stains?

My question is why do the chlorine tablets work and not the pumice stone or Muriatic Acid? I would think the Acid would work easily, it burns off the first layer of plaster off right?

Chemical Levels
    CH 300
    pH 7.3
    TA 105
    CYA 55
    FC 5
    TC 4

I think the pool is around 35k gallons or a bit larger.

Thanks!
    Crystal Clear Pool Service, LLC

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Pool Stains...help

Can't tell you why TC tabs would work. If it was iron, acid would probably work.

I can tell you that most (maybe, all?) of the hockey puck stains I've ever seen were caused by TC tabs being tossed on the pool bottom. Could that be the case here?

Ben

Default Re: Pool Stains...help

Naw no TC tabs were tossed to the bottom of the pool. I will try and take some pictures of the stains to show you. The stains just started up slowly, like i noticed 1 then started multiplying. Now there is at least 30ish all around the bottom of the pool.
    Crystal Clear Pool Service, LLC

+ Reply to Thread