+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Guess my filter... please.

Default Guess my filter... please.

Hello Everyone,

I am a new pool owner. I purchased a home in February that has a big in-ground pool (48x18). Since I am new to the world of pools I am having a difficult time identifying the type of filter that I currently own. There seems to be no information in regards to type or model number on the filter itself. Only a warning label advising me not to electrocute myself.

If possible I would like to be able to post a picture that I took of the pump and filtration setup, however, I'm having a difficult time figuring out how to do so. Let me know if this picture is visible. I'll post IMG tag and a direct link.

Thanks for any assistance.

http://i.imgur.com/2qHWB.jpg

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Guess my filter... please.

From right to left, you've got a Hayward Super pump, a Hayward cartridge filter, probably in this series:
    http://www.hayward-pool.com/prd/_102...02_15516_I.htm
    and a Hayward inline feeder (which needs to be removed -- it restricts the flow tremendously!)

It appears your equipment has been winterized, and is not ready for use -- parts are missing.

Ben

From right to left the pump says "Emerson 1081 Pool Motor" , Filter in question, chlorinator automatic.

On Thursday April 21st. I went to "Pool School" it was a seminar put on by Watson's a local pool company. Less information and more sales oriented. I did speak with a few people there an showed them the same filter. All of them said it looked to be a Heyward DE filter.

This is the closest image I could find.
    http://apluspoolparts.com/userfiles/..._de_filter.jpg

Would it be advisable to take it apart and post some pictures on this thread for a better view?

Also the equipment has been winterized. There are a good number of parts, plugs, and a valve in the shed. This is quite a daunting task I do admit.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Could be a DE -- the imagery on Haywardnet was sparse. I've always avoided Hayward's filters, so my experience is limited. But, Sta-Rite has a single shell (System3) they use for DE, sand & cartridge. Hayward may be copying them.

The "Emerson 1081" is just the motor info, not the pump. The pump is a Hayward Super (not Super II) -- those I know. Likewise, the "automatic feeder) is just Hayward's standard feeder with the tiny orifice that ALL the pool water has to get through. Also, has an adjustment valve that rarely works -- your choice, but you'd be best served by getting rid of it. If you want a tablet chlorinator get a Rainboy 320 (Pentair product, now).

Posting pictures for the parts will get you lots of posts, but it won't get you ready to re-assemble the stuff. Hire it done; find out when they're coming; watch and make notes . . . and then DIY *next* year.

Ben

Thanks for the advice. I would love to get someone out to open the pool for me this year. Any estimates on how much that could cost.

I've already been 'pool-stored' into purchasing about 300 dollars worth of chemicals. I'm not entirely sure if I need all of them. Just a green horn and do not know any better.

Here is the stuff I bought:
    25 LBS Bag of DE x2
    Pool Perfect Phos Free 3L - x2
    Spring/Fall Phos Free - x2
    Pool First Aid - x1
    Blast box of 8 1LBS packets x 3
    Digitial Test strip reader
    2 cases liquid pool shock.

Given I have these chemicals would that change the estimate of having someone come out and do this for me?

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Welcome to the Forum!

That's a Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter (looks like a 4800, which would mean it takes 6 lbs of DE when fully clean and only 5 when you use the backwash function) (as you are new to using a DE filter, you might want to take the time to read the first stickie in the Pool Equipment & Operations section here

It would probably be worth a couple hundred dollars to have someone come out and open your pool and go over how to run the pool with you. I'd advise scheduling it so that you will be there and can see what they do and ask any questions you have.

This is not to say that we can't talk you through it but I feel that if you see what they do and ask your questions while they are there, you'll get a better understanding of what's going on and will be able to do it yourself in the coming years

Please feel free to ask of us any questions you have about your pool. (thank you ! for the pic, if you ever need to replace parts, I'll know the specific part # for you to replace )
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Hi Ted! Thanks for the great info. I am reading through your FAQ post now. It is very detailed. I appreciate the heads up about replacement parts also and will certainly keep you in mind.

You and Ben are right it would be the best idea to have someone out to open it for me, at least the first time. I'm sure I can learn enough to DIY next season. I'd much rather just do it myself this year. Maybe it is an ego thing.. LOL ..

Anyhow, I appreciate your identification of the filter. Do you happen to know if there is an online product manual somewhere for the filter I have. I suspect it is an older model. I have google'd it but can only find a parts diagram not an actual user manual.

Thanks,
    RB
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 04-25-2011 at 06:22 PM. Reason: remove quote

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

You're not very likely to find the manual for that filter (the Pro-Grids were replaced by Micro-Clear ~ 10 years ago) - the change also included the band, the band clamp and the air relief/ pressure gauge assembly (yours isn't installed in the pic you posted) - in short, finding parts for the filter will be difficult Here is a thread I started on Hayward's stopping production of certain replacement parts for DE filters on TFP.

You and Ben are right it would be the best idea to have someone out to open it for me, at least the first time. I'm sure I can learn enough to DIY next season. I'd much rather just do it myself this year. Maybe it is an ego thing.. LOL ..
    If you are heck bent and determined, you can open the pool yourself, and I'll help you, as best I can from afar, but I DO believe that watching and talking to whoever you hire to open the pool will better get us 'on the same page'
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Default Took apart the filter.

Well, I took apart the filter last night and this is what it looked like.

I used the awesome post you linked me on how to clean it. Currently it is sitting in a solution of dishwashing fluid and water. I have some muriatic acid I can use next if need be.

Right now I have 2 questions.
    1. Should I use some type of grease or lubricant on the O-Ring before I put the cap back on? I assume yes, so what kind?
    2. What is the best method to get the cap back on? I read somewhere that if I let the filter fill up and then shut it off with the lid on then the laws of physics will do the work for me and pull the lid back on nice and snug. Is this advisable? Or is there a better method?

Again thanks for all the help so far. The cleaning guide you wrote was fantastic!

RB

+ Reply to Thread