+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: CYA in a sock

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: CYA in a sock

Oh, I forgot: The other BIG law here:

No selling stuff. Period. Ever. No exceptions.

So...what kind of sock is best? Hanes? Gold Toe? Athletic Nikes? Ladies' pantyhose? Colored or white?

I have these great Tilley brand travel socks--soak them in a sink and they dry in 2 hours--"Two pairs will take you around the world!" How do they work?

I mean, how can you compare the "Sock" vs "Skimmer" method unless you can get hard info on how different socks perform?
    Carl

Great links, Evan. Thanks!
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
    So...what kind of sock is best?
    I have always had a preference for seamed nylons on a shapely leg.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    All this may be true for your pool. My experience has been that it takes longer for my pool to get up to the reading that I aim for when I add cya. So, although in some pools it may be in there and measureable fairly quickly, for some pools that doesn't always appear to be the case.

You make a great point, Lisa: all pools are different. They are dynamic systems which change with the environment in which they live. Type of pool, type of equipment, fill water, use, weather, location, surroundings . . . the list is endless. As well, the way a pool is managed depends on the owner's knowledge, skill, understanding of pool water chemistry, attention to detail and so forth.

In the end, the goal we all strive for is to have well balanced water and that, ultimately, is the goal of this forum: to assist pool owners, via the sharing of experiences and observations by other pool owners, the coming together of myriad methods and techniques with the clear caveat that not everything works for everybody or every pool.

Thanks for helping me make that point.
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear View Post
    If you have not used this method you might want to give it a try. It works.
    http://www.poolhelp.com/ChemicallyDe...oolVolumes.pdf

Here is the link for the "“Simplified Formula Numbers” chart
    http://www.poolhelp.com/SimplifiedFormulaNumbers.pdf
    [...]
    Yes. This is the source for the formula I used in the spring when estimating volume via Total Alkalinity. Even this technique has its drawbacks but it requires absolutely no vector calculus, an advantage for those of us whose mathematical aptitude and/or enthusiasm declined sometime before or during Calc I.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD
    I mean, how can you compare the "Sock" vs "Skimmer" method unless you can get hard info on how different socks perform?
    You're correct; no attempt at a comparison was made. Nor could I figure out how to introduce a meaningful control (having run out of duplicate in-ground free-form swimming pools that were designed and built to my specification); and, besides another test in the same pool, how does one evaluate the repeatability of this experiment?

As Evan pointed out earlier (and AnnaK, above), too many variables. Perhaps my hand was shaking when I titrated (perhaps my hand always shakes but I'm unaware).
    Last edited by polyvue; 06-30-2010 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Corrected typo
    16'x29' free-form 14K gal IG gunite pool; SWCG & sodium hypochlorite 8.25%; Hayward SwimClear C4025 cartridge filter; Hayward SP3202VSP TriStar Variable Speed Pool Pump; custom test kit based on Taylor K-2006C; city; PF:8.6

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I have always had a preference for seamed nylons on a shapely leg.

TMI, Evan, TMI!
    Carl

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post

TMI, Evan, TMI!
    I don't mean MY leg!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I don't mean MY leg!
    That's a relief--but still TMI!

(but we got Lisa laughing! )
    Carl

Arrow Re: CYA in a sock

Let's see if this revised post has legs....

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...5145#post65145
    16'x29' free-form 14K gal IG gunite pool; SWCG & sodium hypochlorite 8.25%; Hayward SwimClear C4025 cartridge filter; Hayward SP3202VSP TriStar Variable Speed Pool Pump; custom test kit based on Taylor K-2006C; city; PF:8.6

+ Reply to Thread