PDA

View Full Version : Pump is off...will pool get green?

Henrys514
08-20-2007, 11:36 AM
How long does it take for the pool to get green when you can't run the pump? My husband replaced our pump and filter and most of the PVC on Saturday. When he sealed everything on Sunday and turned the pump on, it was leak city. So now, he pretty much has to start over again. :(

Pump has been off since Saturday. On Thursday night, I shocked the pool to about 20ppm TC. We typically have about a 2ppm loss of Chlorine per day. Here are some other numbers.

CYA-40ppm
TA-100ppm
pH-7.5
CH-200ppm

How bad is it for the pool that the water is not circulating? Is there anything we can do to prevent a nasty green mess? I'm really not sure how long the pump will be off...

Watermom
08-20-2007, 01:37 PM
You'll be OK for a few days -- can't say specifically how many -- as long as your chlorine level stays in range based on your cya reading. If the cl level drops too low before the pump is functioning again, you can always just go ahead and add some bleach and then stir it around with a clean broom to mix it up in your pool. You should be OK for awhile as long as you watch the cl levels.

Henrys514
08-20-2007, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the reply. How long should I stir it? I have this funny picture in my head of me running round the pool with a large canoe paddle :D Actually, that might work pretty well...(note to self-go to Wal-Mart and buy a canoe paddle) We have a exposed aggregate surface, so I don't have to worry about bleaching the surface.

That limited motion of the water might not be enough to prevent the algae, but hopefully if I keep the chlorine level high enough to be hostile to them, it will hold off a bad bloom until we can get the pump online.

And if I do get an algae problem, at least I know how to fix it (thanks to this forum!)

doggie
08-20-2007, 04:59 PM
I'd suggest brushing the pool every day until you get back to proper circulation. Good luck!

aylad
08-20-2007, 11:31 PM
How long does it take for the pool to get green when you can't run the pump? ...

My pump is having some problems (VERY long story, but I can tell you who NOT to use for repairs if you live in Louisiana), and has been disabled since last Thursday. I had chlorine in it as of Thursday afternoon at 12 ppm, with a CYA of 80. So far, it's not changing colors. Hopefully will have the pump back within the next day or two, and a good overnight shocking should clear up anything that started to grow. So....if you're adding chlorine and stirring with a paddle (or broomstick, or whatever), you're probably okay for several days.

Janet

Henrys514
08-21-2007, 06:57 PM
My pump is having some problems (VERY long story, but I can tell you who NOT to use for repairs if you live in Louisiana), and has been disabled since last Thursday. I had chlorine in it as of Thursday afternoon at 12 ppm, with a CYA of 80. So far, it's not changing colors. Hopefully will have the pump back within the next day or two, and a good overnight shocking should clear up anything that started to grow. So....if you're adding chlorine and stirring with a paddle (or broomstick, or whatever), you're probably okay for several days.

Janet

No, we're in Florida. That really sucks about your pump. I feel your pain. My husband managed to patch most of the leaks somewhat, so they are now dripping rather than gushing. We're running the pump for about 4 hours a day until Saturday when he rips everything out and starts again. At least I don't have to use a paddle now:)

aylad
08-21-2007, 11:36 PM
My pump is back in business now, and water is still clear blue, so I know you can go at least 5 days, as long as your chlorine stays within the right ranges given your CYA level. Hope your husband is able to get it fixed without too much of a headache!!

Janet