+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pump is off...will pool get green?

Default Pump is off...will pool get green?

How long does it take for the pool to get green when you can't run the pump? My husband replaced our pump and filter and most of the PVC on Saturday. When he sealed everything on Sunday and turned the pump on, it was leak city. So now, he pretty much has to start over again.

Pump has been off since Saturday. On Thursday night, I shocked the pool to about 20ppm TC. We typically have about a 2ppm loss of Chlorine per day. Here are some other numbers.

CYA-40ppm
    TA-100ppm
    pH-7.5
    CH-200ppm

How bad is it for the pool that the water is not circulating? Is there anything we can do to prevent a nasty green mess? I'm really not sure how long the pump will be off...

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Pump is off...will pool get green?

You'll be OK for a few days -- can't say specifically how many -- as long as your chlorine level stays in range based on your cya reading. If the cl level drops too low before the pump is functioning again, you can always just go ahead and add some bleach and then stir it around with a clean broom to mix it up in your pool. You should be OK for awhile as long as you watch the cl levels.

Thanks for the reply. How long should I stir it? I have this funny picture in my head of me running round the pool with a large canoe paddle Actually, that might work pretty well...(note to self-go to Wal-Mart and buy a canoe paddle) We have a exposed aggregate surface, so I don't have to worry about bleaching the surface.

That limited motion of the water might not be enough to prevent the algae, but hopefully if I keep the chlorine level high enough to be hostile to them, it will hold off a bad bloom until we can get the pump online.

And if I do get an algae problem, at least I know how to fix it (thanks to this forum!)

I'd suggest brushing the pool every day until you get back to proper circulation. Good luck!
    Why BBB? Because money can't buy happiness, but saving it sure can!

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Henrys514 View Post
    How long does it take for the pool to get green when you can't run the pump? ...
    My pump is having some problems (VERY long story, but I can tell you who NOT to use for repairs if you live in Louisiana), and has been disabled since last Thursday. I had chlorine in it as of Thursday afternoon at 12 ppm, with a CYA of 80. So far, it's not changing colors. Hopefully will have the pump back within the next day or two, and a good overnight shocking should clear up anything that started to grow. So....if you're adding chlorine and stirring with a paddle (or broomstick, or whatever), you're probably okay for several days.

Janet

Quote Originally Posted by aylad View Post
    My pump is having some problems (VERY long story, but I can tell you who NOT to use for repairs if you live in Louisiana), and has been disabled since last Thursday. I had chlorine in it as of Thursday afternoon at 12 ppm, with a CYA of 80. So far, it's not changing colors. Hopefully will have the pump back within the next day or two, and a good overnight shocking should clear up anything that started to grow. So....if you're adding chlorine and stirring with a paddle (or broomstick, or whatever), you're probably okay for several days.

Janet
    No, we're in Florida. That really sucks about your pump. I feel your pain. My husband managed to patch most of the leaks somewhat, so they are now dripping rather than gushing. We're running the pump for about 4 hours a day until Saturday when he rips everything out and starts again. At least I don't have to use a paddle now

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

My pump is back in business now, and water is still clear blue, so I know you can go at least 5 days, as long as your chlorine stays within the right ranges given your CYA level. Hope your husband is able to get it fixed without too much of a headache!!

Janet

+ Reply to Thread