+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BBB method and vacation???

Default BBB method and vacation???

What do you do if you're gone on a week's vacation and have no one to add bleach daily?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: BBB method and vacation???

Possibly. What do you suggest? If they are not available, what would my best strategy be?

Vacation time is when we use our chlorine feeder with trichlor pucks. I normally run the CYA at 40 ppm during the summer to give myself the very leeway I need for using the pucks during vacations. Our pump is on a timer and operates at night. We shock the pool with bleach and put the solar cover on before we leave.

If you don't have an automatic feeder you can put trichlor in floaters and attach them to the pool in such a way that they'll stay in the middle of the pool. They'll slowly dissolve. It's better to have the pump on to circulate the water but if you don't have a timer you might not want it running 24/7 during your absence.

We have nobody nearby whom we know well enough to ask for help with pool sitting. This method has worked well enough for us. And if you do return to a green pool, it's not the end of the world. You know how to clean it up using bleach and diligence.

Have a great vacation!
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

Thank you, Anna! We do have an automatic chlorinator. Do you have any suggestions for how many pucks to put in the chlorinator and how high to run it on a scale of 1-10?

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Consider boosting your pH as well. I came back after two weeks to a clear pool but my pH was at 6.8 and my CYA went from 30 to the 60's. I had four floaters open full wide! It took 4 boxes of Borax to get the pH normal.

What I do is put out one jug of bleach for every other day. (I actually use LC, but I fill the jugs half with tap water first. I leave instructions that one jug is to be poured in the skimmer every other day. If we leave on a Saturday, I have my FIL do it starting Monday. It's basically 6 or 7 times. If you have a neighboring kid, he might want to make an easy $10 every other day just dumping the bleach in for you.

You could also put in a whole quart of Polyquat in advance. After 48 hours, you'll need to boost your pool's FC again. Then boost it shock level, and, if you have a cover, cover it, and use your chlorinator. But be ready to shock it ASAP when you get home.
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by BeenPoolStored View Post
    Thank you, Anna! We do have an automatic chlorinator. Do you have any suggestions for how many pucks to put in the chlorinator and how high to run it on a scale of 1-10?

My own chlorinator's settings come in 1/8 increments. I fill it with pucks (it takes 7) and adjust the setting to 1/4. I do this because I've learned from past experience and usage of the chlorinator that the 1/4 setting keeps the free chlorine steady from one day to the next when nobody uses the pool.

It doesn't matter how many pucks you put in. They'll dissolve until the saturation point is reached inside the chlorinator which then dispenses the chlorine solution into your pool.

My setup is this:
    7 trichlor pucks
    chlorinator at 1/4
    pump run time 7 hours out of 24

Those 7 pucks last for at least 2 months. When I'm not using the auto-feeder I just shut it off. I don't remove the pucks.

Carl makes a good point: pucks will lower your pH (and, of course, increase your CYA some). I've not worried about that in the past because our absences were relatively short, 14 days and fewer, and because I've monitored the water while using trichlor in the past I know that the pH drop isn't serious enough to require pre-planning—in my pool.

According to info learned from Richard (Chem Geek): "For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm." I can live with those 6ppm CYA because I intentionally keep mine on the low side in anticipation of a late summer vacation.
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

you guys are just brilliant!

Celtics in 7

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

I have gone away for two week and just shut everything off during the heat of summer (July). When I returned the pool was only slightly cloudy (but no chlorine left) which was fixed by a shock with bleach.

My secret? I have 50 ppm borates in my pool!

I intend to do the same this year in 3 weeks. Will post what the pool looks like when I get back. I suspect it will be the same as in the past, only a bit cloudy and no visible green! I already have the gallon of bleach in the garage in anticipation of my return.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

I've found similar results after adding 50 ppm Borates. My pool is very high in phosphates (3000 ppb) and probably nitrates as well and is very reactive so if the chlorine gets too low it doesn't take long for algae to grow. However, since the Borates are in the pool it seems far less reactive. It doesn't completely stop such algae growth, but seems to slow it down significantly.

Though not cheap upon first addition, it's better than something like copper ions that can stain. Thank you Evan for getting us onto the Borates bandwagon. It's not necessary since one can prevent algae using chlorine alone, but is very nice insurance to have.

Richard

+ Reply to Thread