+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What do you wish you would have done?

steveinaz is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher steveinaz 2 stars steveinaz 2 stars

Default What do you wish you would have done?

...but didn't.

For me, I wish I would have gone with pebble-tec. My one and only regret---

How about you, with hindsight being 20/20 what would you have done differently?

Default Re: What do you wish you would have done?

Interesting topic:

Wider deck on the "back" side of the pool.

Rectangular shape instead of Grecian because of solar cover headaches.

Probably would have gone one size bigger on my pool. I was afraid bigger meant more work.

Might have added a second skimmer due to high spider load late in the season.

Would have done a better job planning for extras around the pool like a poolhouse so I didn't have to fit things in around the plumbing.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I wish I had taken up Spanish instead of French when I was in 7th grade. Now, 40 years later I'm struggling to learn Spanish but can still read French.
    Carl

- Would have brought in a landscape designer right at the get-go, even as the pool was getting planned.
    - Would have specified a contract termination date and added a performance (penalty) clause.
    - Would have researched stonework/rock work to be sure the correct type stone was being used.
    - Would have been more skeptical when the PB said the cleaner return was not a problem to access UNDERNEATH the waterfall. (Try disconnecting that in the winter, if needed.)
    - Would have looked into better pump sizing and efficiency. (Never gave a thought to energy consumption )
    - Would have gone slightly deeper, maybe 6.5' or 7' instead of slightly under 6'.
    - Would have gone with a less slippery deck surface.
    - Installed a heater or heat pump.
    - Installed a control system and/or add a 2nd timer to control the cleaner.

Wow, I guess we learned a lot with this first pool! It's actually quite nice, but, as you can see, we'd be better-educated consumers the next time around.
    Sandy
    15,600 gallon, screened 15x30 IG plaster sport pool with 6x8 tanning area, Aquarite SWCG, Hayward cartridge filter, Polaris 280 cleaner

ivyleager is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher ivyleager 0

Snuck out in '76 to the Led Zepplin concert.
    Had 2 kids instead of 1

CaryB
    Last edited by ivyleager; 09-25-2007 at 09:36 PM.

ivyleager is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher ivyleager 0

No seriously:

-gunite instead of vinyl

CaryB

I would have added a 3rd return jet near my steps to help with circulation/cleaning in that area. I also would've gone with the fiber optic lighting instead of the SAM light.
    Jean

Take the sun tan shelf in the shallow end from 8" to 14" depth
    15,000 gallon IG free form 16x32 w/attached IG 6x7 spa. Aquapure SWG, Jandy Aqualink 4 w/ PDA, Paramount infloor cleaning system, Starite 400K propane heater, Starite system 3 filter, Starite 2hp pump, polaris D'Light LED pool and spa light and paver decking. Completed in 11 weeks 7/4/06.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I would have made the warranty crew completely redo the liner when they made such an ugly mess of the second liner. Now I'm caught between wanting it to fail so I can get it done nicely, and NOT wanting it to fail because I want to get as many years out of the liner as possible.

Other things I change as I need to, and mostly have been changed. I see the next changes as improvements, not regrets.
    Carl

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Probably would have gone SWG from the beginning, since it really wouldn't have made any difference in price while the whole thing was being financed, plus they could have plumbed it all in while building. Could add one now, may in the future, but not sure since my pool is pretty easy to handle just using BBB.

Janet

+ Reply to Thread