+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is DE?

Default What is DE?

Well - I've read about people adding DE to the skimmer, in order to help their sand filters do a better filtering job. I'm pretty sure that DE doesn't stand for Dangling Eurethra ...but what is it and what does DE stand for?

Thanks,
    C

Default Re: What is DE?

It's easier to show you this link than it is to explain it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth
    Why BBB? Because money can't buy happiness, but saving it sure can!

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

It's diatomaceous earth. Essentially it's skeletons of microscopic creatures that appears as a white powder. It's the critical element that allows DE filters to function. DE filters are the finest filters sold for pools, filtering down to something like 2-5 microns. Cartridge filters filter to 20 microns, and sand filters to about 50-60 microns. Some of the most expensive robotic cleaners (Aquabot, Blue Diamond, Dolphin Dynamic) can match the DE filter at the 2-5 micron range, but they aren't daily filters.

But we also can add a little DE to sand filters to get the water a little clearer. I was one of the first to experiment with this--Poconos led the way. It's very inexpensive to do: I've been using one 10 # box for 2 seasons, and am about to open the 2nd 5# bag in the box--and the 10# cost me $8. The results, combined with a few other strategies, have gotten my water from very clear to crystal, crystal clear.

DE also is excellent for ant control. Apparently, it's quite deadly to them--something about the sharp edges on the powder grains I think.
    Carl

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Here's some relative particle sizes.
    Al

Attachment 663

Attachment 664

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Thanks for the clarifications - I really appreciate it.

Where do I buy this? And are there different "types" or just DE...period?

Thanks,
    C

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
    DE also is excellent for ant control. Apparently, it's quite deadly to them--something about the sharp edges on the powder grains I think.
    DE is a desiccant. After the sharp edges cut through their "skins", the DE literally sucks the water out of the ants' bodies. Using it makes me feel like I'm engaging in chemical warfare.
    Pool owner - contract signed 21Aug2006; HOA approval granted; complete - existing patio demolition; excavation; rebar; embedded plumbing; gunite; plumbing; electrical; tile and coping; decking; plaster; pool fill; acid start-up; regular start-up; pool school; gas meter upgrade; additional of salt; PDA remote programming.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Candyass View Post

Thanks,
    C
    Any pool store. There's DE and a new, expensive fibrous alternative to it which is NOT DE.
    Carl

KurtV is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver KurtV 0

Quote Originally Posted by Candyass View Post

Thanks,
    C
    There are several grades of DE: Pool, Horticultural, Food, etc. I'd use only pool grade in your pool filter to be safe (though I have no idea what would happen if you used another grade).

As Carl said, pool stores will have the right stuff. So will Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. (in the pool season).

Quote Originally Posted by KurtV View Post
    There are several grades of DE: Pool, Horticultural, Food, etc. I'd use only pool grade in your pool filter to be safe (though I have no idea what would happen if you used another grade).

As Carl said, pool stores will have the right stuff. So will Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. (in the pool season).
    Thanks. I only know about pool DE. Even at expensive stores it's fairly cheap, especially if you plan on using it to augment your sand filter. As I said, one 10# box was $8 and I've barely used half in 2 seasons.
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread