+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Filter sand: A gritty question

Sumo1 is offline Registered+ Weir Watcher Sumo1 0

Default Filter sand: A gritty question

Our church needs to change the sand in four TR(TS?)140 filters with an estimated 600-700 lbs each. At 50lb per bag, that's about 50 bags of "pool filter sand". Is there anything special about filter sand and can it be bought in bulk quantities? Thanks, Hal
    20x40 IG gunite free form, approx. 27K gal, 60sq DE filter, Jandy Stealth 2hp 2speed pump, Polaris 380, SWCG

Default Re: Filter sand: A gritty question

I don't mean to question your judgement, but I'm curious as to why filter sand would ever need replacing.
    Tom Wood
    15K IG Plaster, Sand Filter, Polaris 180

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by aquarium View Post
    I don't mean to question your judgement, but I'm curious as to why filter sand would ever need replacing.
    And the debate begins----again!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Uh oh, did I step off into someplace I shouldn't go?
    Tom Wood
    15K IG Plaster, Sand Filter, Polaris 180

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Not at all. Generally, many people here will tell you (me included) that filter sand only needs to be changed if it gets gummed up or has a HORRID algae infestation, or something else that prevents it functioning, or you had pull it out anyway because of a broken lateral.

It doesn't really HURT to change sand, but, again, most sand users find it filters better as it gets older, so why change it? Some folks here have the same sand for a dozen years--I'm going on Year 5 myself.

You MUST use filter sand in your filter. Period. You should be able to find it for $5-$6/50lb bag....that's about $70/filter.

But is there a compelling reason to change the sand or are you just changing it to change it?
    Carl

Waterworks is offline In the pool biz Thread Analyst Waterworks 0

I'm with Carl here. We have many customers that have never changed their sand over the course of 15 years. We never recommend changing the sand unless there is something specifically wrong.

Brad
    Waterworks Pools

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Cool Re: Filter sand: A gritty question

Hey all,

With uncharacteristic pseudo-thoroughness, I searched for a few things before I replied I found a few posts re: changing sand (how to) http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=2537 , http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=1068 and one where I recommend using 'pea gravel' (small, 1/8 - 1/4" 'riverstone') to replace 100 lbs of sand on the 140 filters http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=298

Sand used for filtering pool water is of a certain size and quality (sorry I don't remember the specs ), but IF you can find it in 'bulk' it might save some $ (but then again, adding the 'right' # of lbs could be a real pain and getting it into the filter might present some additional problems - bags are easy!, also - purity may be an issue with 'bulk sand'))

Tom, (to save Evan some typing) - at least some of what Evan's talking about can be found in the following threads : http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=168, http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=3394 (esp., post 11), and http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=3707 (#10). I thought that I rememberd more, about using a sand cleaner each year, but couldn't find it - (I'll let him type that )!

The info in the links should help with the changeout, if a changeout is actually necessary (BTW,Sumo, did you resolve the chlorination question?)
    Last edited by waste; 02-21-2007 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Can't tell the difference between '8' and '&'
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

IMO, a sand filter should use 1/4 of its capacity in gravel around the laterals.
    On TR140 C-3's, the filter I use on commercial pools with multiple filters on a bypass manifold, I use 300lbs of gravel and 600lbs of sand in each filter.
    On a single 140 for a residential pool I'll use 200lbs to 700 of sand. This is probably more gravel and less total media than the MFG suggests but I've found it to work very well in service.

hal,
    buy your sand from a pool supply house and get sand specifically designed for sand filters. Also don't use just 600lbs of sand. I think the Mfg suggests 950 to 1000lbs in each TR140. That's 20 bags per filter.

See Ya,
    Kelly

Waterworks is offline In the pool biz Thread Analyst Waterworks 0

I believe that pool filter sand is .35mm - .45mm in size. It is tripled screen to remove the smaller sand particles and the larger particles. If you get sand smaller than .35mm it will pass through the laterals and if you get any larger than .45mm it will not filter out the smallest particles, meaning anything larger than 40-60 microns.

Brad
    Waterworks Pools

Sumo1 is offline Registered+ Weir Watcher Sumo1 0

Answer: a"pool guy" friend told me we needed to change the sand every 5 years. Pool operators at the church change every couple of years and there's no written record but we think the sand's been in service between 15-30 years.
    20x40 IG gunite free form, approx. 27K gal, 60sq DE filter, Jandy Stealth 2hp 2speed pump, Polaris 380, SWCG

+ Reply to Thread