Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to you get the ladder out of the ground?

Default How to you get the ladder out of the ground?

I have two handrails which I got out easily and one ladder in the deep end which seems to have cemeted itself to the concrete over the summer. I have undone the bolts and beat and kicked this thing as hard as I can, one side is loose the other won't budge. I have already broken the pieces that the bolt goes into trying to pry it up with a hammer but still no luck any suggestions.

Thanks,
    Russ

Default Re: How to you get the ladder out of the ground?

Liquid Wrench??
    ~Grace

Avid reader of this forum
    but alas, no pool... yet!

tonyl is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst tonyl 0

Don't take the bolts out completely. Just loosen then around 1/2" or so then drive them down with a hammer. This will drive the wedge down and take the pressure off the tube. Hope this helps, Tony

We have one rail that's always more stubborn to remove than the others. My husband uses a rubber mallot on the underside of the top of the rail. He has to pound fairly hard several times, but at least it doesn't do any damage at all.
    Why BBB? Because money can't buy happiness, but saving it sure can!

I actually got my car jack out last night and tried to jack the thing out of the ground with no luck. It actualy just started bending the angle of the ladder so that the bottom of the ladder now no longer touches the edge of the pool, however the one side still hasn't budged. I've tried wedging a screwdrive with a hammer to take the pressure of the tube with no luck. I also have kicked it I hard as I can so I doubt I will be able to generate enough force with a rubber mallet from underneath to do anything especially if I couldn't budge it with a car jack. Any more ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Trying to force something like this will only make it worse by deforming parts. Patience. As suggested, use liquid wrench or WD-40 and give it time. Tonyl is right in that you have to release the wedge piece. With the bolt screwed in part way you should feel the wedge being loose. If not, you have to loosen the wedge. If you don;t know what is down there I have a pic on another thread I can dig up. Could be that for some reason the rail corroded and got stuck....the WD-40 will eventually release it. Try rocking the rail slightly to crack it loose. You also have to pull it out straight. Upward force while wiggling should eventually get it out.
    Al

I probably should have posted here before I began banging the crap out this thing. I definetly now have deformed parts. While trying to chisle and pry the wedge loose I broke off the peice that the bolt fits thru. I figure I can survive with just one side bolted down next year but I still have to figure out how to get this thing off in order to put the cover on.

I have tried rocking it up and down left and right(that's where the kicking part came in). I have tried wd-40 let it sit overnight didn't seem to have an effect. I going to get a rubber mallet and liquid wrench and try that. My worry is that the hammer and screwdriver along with the carjack have deformed this thing to the point where it won't come out.

Anybody know how much a hacksaw and new ladder will cost

UPDATE: I have now tried liquid wrench, WD-40, hammer and chisel, rubber mallet, repeated kicks with foot and a car jack and this thing won't budge. The wedge is completly loose. I can plainly see it since I broke of a part of the bracket that the bolt goes thru. I'm calling the pool man, I'm out of options.
    Last edited by rtpatter; 09-27-2006 at 02:26 PM.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Lightbulb Re: How to you get the ladder out of the ground?

You were in too much of a hurry . All these posts are from this morning. POP (pool owner patience) is a key ingredient of pool care. If the other side is truely wrecked, I'm not sure I can help you now. (but if there's still hope I offer the following) :
    Put the 'free' rail back in the cup (if it isn't already) and pull it up ~ 1", now try working the other circularly while pulling up on it, it should eventually raise some (once you've gotten it to come up, the problem's all but solved). Work the 2 rails so that you can get the 'stuck' one up a little more each time (IF THIS IS A LINER POOL - MAKE SURE THAT THE "BUMPERS" DON'T BECOME DISLODGED!! as this could lead to a tear in the liner!!!!!!!!!) What probably happened is that the anchor cup wasn't put in 'level' with the deck, find out which side it's being 'pinched' on and apply force in the opposite direction while lifting, it's a slow proccess but will allow you to get the *%#@#^(() thing out As this dependent on your being able to still remove it, I have a question:
    Do you have a SWCG?
    I wish you well with this problem, if I can be of any assistance, feel free to call upon me (I have to 'talk' stubborn rails out of the deck almost every day at this time of the year).
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

duraleigh Guest

Programmed correctly, a cruise missile should do the job. (Bring the dog and cats inside)

Thanks to everyone for the help. Patience was in fact the key(something I don't have). Allowing the liquid wrench to set up for a few hours along with massive shaking and smashing with a rubber mallet(which I finaly broke during the process) I finally was able to get it out late last night. However, there is massive deformity on the side that was stuck from all the blunt trama I handed out with a hammer and chisel. However, most of the deformed parts will be in the ground so I think I can use it again next year I'll just be making sure I lubricate it well during the summer so I don't go thru this again.

I also have another question in my attempt to use the carjack to get it out of the ground I bent the angle of the ladder so the bottom part of the ladder no longer touches the sides of the pool. Is there a way to correct this? Also can I glue those bumpers on the bottom of the ladder with superglue so they will stay on?

Thanks again for the help once again you saved me a pool guy visit and $$$.
    Last edited by rtpatter; 09-28-2006 at 08:57 AM.

Closed Thread