+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Chlorox does seem to add a white precipite...

keithw is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst keithw 0

Default New Chlorox does seem to add a white precipite...

Last week I added almost two gallons of Chlorox. It made my water look kind of granular. Almost cloudy. I switched to generic and the water is peferectly clear.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Talking Re: New Chlorox does seem to add a white precipite...

Keith, there have been a few posts here about not using the new clorox, your experience is probably why. They seem to have added something in the new formula that makes it inappropriate for pool use (I'd imagine it's harmless, but who wants a cloudy or 'granular' pool?). Stick to the unscented regular (or ultra, if it's more cost efficient) bleach, and you'll be the envy of all your pool owner friends and neighbors (following the advice here)! - Waste
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Default Re: New Chlorox does seem to add a white precipite...

I sure hope the other bleach companies don't follow suit and "improve" their product!!

What identifies the new formula on the bottle? I am using Chlorox regular 1.42 gal. from BJ's club and don't see anything different.

I also have used the unscented ultra Clorox from Costco all summer long with no problem whatsoever, other than that the price keeps going up.

Jakebear is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst Jakebear 0

Wonderful --- I just bought 10 - 182 oz bottles of Clorox Ultra 6% from Walmart-- How do you tell if it is the new stuff??

Jakebear,
    The Ultra 6% is ok. The 'new stuff' is called Clorox UltimateCare Premium and comes out of the bottle as a white liquid.
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

Hi,
    I've recently started BBB, and find Dollar General and Target do not show the percentage of sodium hypocl. on the label of their brand liquid bleach. Do you avoid these or how can you determine the % if it's not on the label? Do an OTO test?

TIA.
    Steve

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

The regular ultra clorox contains sodium polyacrylate which is the same chemical used in some pool clarifiers. If you overdose on a polymeric clarifier it can actually cloud your water instead of clearing it!
    The new premium clorox only contains 1-3% sodium hypochlorite and also contains lauramine oxide which is a detergent foam builder and thickener. You do NOT want that in your pool!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

rferrel1 Guest

I believe the sodium polyacrylate is onlyl found in the GEL forms of clorox - sodium polyacrylate is the same stuff in the water absorbing potting soil and the stuff florists put into the bottoms of vases of flowers now.

I believe it would show up on the clorox msds because you can get an msds for the sodium polyacrylate alone. Sodium hypoclorite and sodium hydroxide are the only active ingredients listed for Clorox Ultra regular bleach (dated in 2001) AND for Clorox regular bleach (dated 2005/I think that's when they added the fact that there WAS some sodium hydroxide albeit a small amount) - only difference is the concentration of the sodium hypoclorite - 6.15% for the regular - 6-7.5% for the ultra.

Would appreciate any clarification above and beyond this. I don't generally buy the store brands because usually I can't find any mention on the container re: concentration and when I did find it it was in the neighborhood of 4.5-5%.

Just sayin'

+ Reply to Thread