+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Compressor for Aerater

Default Compressor for Aerater

How does this sound for a DYI aerator. I took my air compressor with a 40 psi max nozzel. Then filled a bleach bottle with water. Then tied the the air compressor nozzel to the bleach bottle with the nozzle tied open and lowered it into the pool.

I have a high alk level and reading says I need to aerate after I lower my ph. Makes alot of bubbles. Any thoughts??

Chris

haze_1956 is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst haze_1956 0

Default Re: Compressor for Aerater

From my understanding of how the Alk lowering method works, that should be extremely effective. The farther the bubbles have to travel to reach the surface, the better !

I would be extremely interested in how it works, do you think the size of the bubbles would effect anything? Like using the small tip as opposed to using a bigger opening tip? Nice, my alk is at 170 and I need to lower it but my mom and wife are dealing with most of the chemical stuff while I recover from my eye injury. I had gotten it down from around 260+ to the point it is at now though using the aerating method. I was just pointing the nozzle towards the surface though, it was working but slowly.

Great idea! It's the amount of bubbles, not the size that is important. I've heard this somewhere before .....

Dave

that is what I was thinking, not the size, but the output.

duraleigh Guest

How does this sound for a DYI aerator.
    Doesn't it sound pretty loud? Serious question.

My compressor is extrememly loud when it kicks on, my neighbors would probably love me if I was to do it that way.

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by sevver
    that is what I was thinking, not the size, but the output.
    You want to maximize the total surface area of the bubbles and their contact time with the water. Smaller bubbles have a larger surface area relative to their volume and they also tend to take longer to migrate upward to the pool surface. So use the largest output (volume of air) you can but produce the smallest bubbles from that output possible for the best combination. That probably requires a type of nozzle you don't have since the smaller nozzle probably restricts the output rate. The ideal nozzle would be one that had many small nozzles to produce lots of tiny bubbles (I can hear Don Ho singing now).

If you only have a choice between a large output rate with large bubbles vs. a smaller output rate with smaller bubbles, then I agree with the earlier post that the larger output rate is probably more important.

Richard

I could see a manifold type fitting with caps on it with slits cut into them with a pencil grinder with a cut off wheel for this. I will make one sometime here, pvc should work, plus it would keep costs down.

Or maybe a few of these:

Not affiliated, yadda yadda...

+ Reply to Thread